Polarising Filter

cguron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently using a best buy polariser with Canon 60D on 18-135mm zoom; 67mm dia. The polarising effect, regardless of how much adjustment I do, is limited to the right corner of the frame. What might be the reason? Is this because of the lens and focal lenght used? or this is simply because of the digital sensor properties? Please tell me which polariser you are using, and please post at least one example in the reply. ;)

A polariser only works when you are shooting 90 degrees to the sun, either horizontally or vertically. If you aren't they have very little effect.

Also I only use them when I want to combat reflections, say on a body of water etc. If not I don't use them. Some people use them as a cure all to add contrast to a scene, there are better ways

also when used on very wide angle lenses the effect may not be smooth across the scene.

It could also be a poor quality filter.I use B + W. But it shpuld have some effect used corectly

Other landscape enthusiasts, please share your comments to my question.

A polariser only works when you are shooting 90 degrees to the sun, either horizontally or vertically. If you aren't they have very little effect.

this isn't exactly true, they work to varying degrees of strength from about 45 degrees through 135 degrees. It's just strongest at 90 degrees.

well, if you've rotated the filter around, and taken shots at varying angles compared to the sun, and it still only works on the right side of the camera, then that has to be the lens/sensor.

But I don't see how that could be. I'd be willing to guess it's that you took a lot of pictures with the same angle relative to the sun.

Thank you fjrabon. I should take more pictures and test the filter further to make sure that I am properly using the filter as actually intended for selective directional elimination of light rays coming from different angles from sun.

If I am shooting in early morning light or late afteroon light, ie the sun is not going to be anywhere near overhead, am I better off taking the polarizer filter off?

Most reactions

Back