Polarizer filter question

photosoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I"ve already posted a polarizer thread but I've got an important question.
Would it not make more sense to get a larger filter than needed and use an adaptor in case I ever upgrade to larger lens?

btw, I think I will be going with the either nikon or hoya multi coated glass lenses. :thumbup:

It would make sense if you know the size of the lense you are getting in the future.

it makes even more sense to just get a cokin system with a polarizer. works with any size lens, and you can work in some useful grad NDs easily. though it depends on what you are shooting... i do mostly landscape, so I have plenty of time to get myself setup with what is a bit of a cumbersome setup...

That was what I thought recently - I have a bunch of lenses and all different filter sizes, so figured I'd buy a filter at the biggest size (77mm) and use adapter rings to 72mm, 67mm and 58mm so it would fit all my lenses. Unfortunately, I found that when using the filter on my 17-85 with the 67-72 and 72-77 adapters I get heavy vignetting at anything less than about 35mm focal length on the lens, due to the sort of 'hood effect' that the adapter rings give. Something to consider.

The only downside is, an adapter will move the filter away from the lens and you're risking vignetting at the edges.

I never liked them stepup rings...they look odd and, as previously stated, you have the risk of vignetting.

If the other lens youre getting is not going to be purchased in the near future, go with the proper sized filter, and when it comes time to get the new lens, get another polarizer with that one. (Having multiple filters also helps if you know what youre going to be shooting, so if you do have to change lenses, you dont have to also change filters, which is rather time consuming and annoying)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back