Polarizer Lens or hood, what I am confused. Help!

FITBMX

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I take most of my photos outdoors, and I have been reading that a Polarizer Lens is a most! But then I was reading on TPF and I read that your better off to use a hood instead! I don't know what to do!:shock:
I only have around $20 to spend, I know its not much of anything but I just don't have any more to spend.:(

I did find this filter, what do you think? Amazon.com : B+W 58mm Slim-Line Circular Polarizer : Camera Lens Polarizing Filters : Camera & Photo

Or if I should go with a hood what is a too choice in my price range?

Any help would be great!:)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A polarizer and a hood perform two distinct, separate functions. A polarizer acts upon the polarized nature of the light that makes it to the sensor. A hood prevents stray light from getting to the lens.

As for the filter you linked to, not many lenses these days take 58mm filters. Make sure you get the right size for your lens.

While more expensive, depending on what you shoot, you might want to consider a Lee 100mm square polarizer or the 105mm adaptable polarizer with a lee 100mm starter system and hood. While I have an excellent 72mm screw in polarizer, I already had the lee system for ND filters. I happened to run across a good deal on a lee polarizer. Now if I need a polarizer I usually use it instead of the screw in. This gives me the best of both worlds, polarizer and lens hood.

I'd say get a hood. Maybe I'm biased, but I always use a hood and never a filter. Also take 99% of my pictures outdoors. Plus the hood won't degrade the image sharpness and help protect everything and keep it clean.

A polarizer and a hood perform two distinct, separate functions. A polarizer acts upon the polarized nature of the light that makes it to the sensor. A hood prevents stray light from getting to the lens.

As for the filter you linked to, not many lenses these days take 58mm filters. Make sure you get the right size for your lens.

They are the stock lenses for my Canon Rebel, I check again and they are both 58mm.
Does tat filter look okay?

While more expensive, depending on what you shoot, you might want to consider a Lee 100mm square polarizer or the 105mm adaptable polarizer with a lee 100mm starter system and hood. While I have an excellent 72mm screw in polarizer, I already had the lee system for ND filters. I happened to run across a good deal on a lee polarizer. Now if I need a polarizer I usually use it instead of the screw in. This gives me the best of both worlds, polarizer and lens hood.

I looked them up, and they look great! But it's out of my price range for now.:(

I'd say get a hood. Maybe I'm biased, but I always use a hood and never a filter. Also take 99% of my pictures outdoors. Plus the hood won't degrade the image sharpness and help protect everything and keep it clean.

What's is a good hood for around $20, or is there not one?

Does a filter lower photo quality very much?

Alarm bells are going off: A 58mm B+W slim-line polarizing filter for under twenty US dollars??? As in, $96 below list price??? Something seems amiss with that offer, it TRULY sounds wayyy too good to be true.

B+W is one of the premier filter brands...I can NOT believe a genuine B+W polarizer can be sold for under $20 new. No way.

What's is a good hood for around $20, or is there not one?

Its a hunk of plastic that goes over the end. I don't think brands would matter too much, just make sure its hard plastic, not soft.

Alarm bells are going off: A 58mm B+W slim-line polarizing filter for under twenty US dollars??? As in, $96 below list price??? Something seems amiss with that offer, it TRULY sounds wayyy too good to be true. B+W is one of the premier filter brands...I can NOT believe a genuine B+W polarizer can be sold for under $20 new. No way.

That was my thought too. I got a B+H 49mm for almost $90.

You must understand that a polarizer won't automatically work 100% of the time. You have to understand how to use it:

Last edited by a moderator:
You must understand that a polarizer won't automatically work 100% of the time. You have to understand how to use it:.........

And when.

And why.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back