polarizer orientation

itznfb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mgroberts.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
how do you know you've set your polarizing filter in the correct orientation? even on 3" screen i can't tell the difference. i especially can't see any differences in the viewfinder, but when i get home and put them on the computer i can see if i had it right/wrong.

When the Polarizing Filter is turned to be 90 degrees off of the angle of polarized light entering it ... it will block it.
ie. reflections off water ... leaves ... sky ...

You should see darkening affects on certain objects in the scene.
Not all light entering the camera can be effectively filtered.

Don't look on the screen -- look through the viewfinder! It should be much more obvious through there.

If looking for bluer skies: Look at the sky, if you are not pointing directly towards or away from the sun (in which case a polarizer won't change the sky much). Turn the polarizer until it darkens.

If looking for reflection management: look at glass or water. Turn the polarizer until the reflections disappear.

It's that easy -- you just have to know where to look. The result will be much more noticeable in some circumstances than others. For example, pointing 90 degrees away from the sun on a bright sunny day, in early/mid afternoon, will show HUGE changes. Pointing just about anywhere near sunset won't show much difference at all.

ahhh, i think i was looking at how the filter is made in the wrong way. i was thinking of the surface as almost like a gradiant filtering... both your explanations helped. i think i was making it more complicated than it is. thanks guys.

Most reactions

Back