Police Deleted My Photo's!! C&C Also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having dealt with WI LEOs, I say they went a bit too far. I've had police ask to view what I have shot, I showed them. But if they ever tried to take my camera or asked me to have it I always said no. Everytime. Especially if they told me to delete something. I've been detained twice until their supervisor arrived as requested. And explained the situation and my rights as a photographer and was released without incident.

But I am always courteous with LEOs, and never get an attitude. Never a good thing when you also happen to carry a gun at all times, lol.

Evidence of someone sitting in a police cruiser?

One would have to wonder why any officer would be concerned about such photos. Especially since they could show injuries or a lack thereof which might not match up with the officer's report later.

This is also one of the reasons that I tend to carry a voice recorder and know the laws regarding its use and admissibility in court in my state.

Politely disagree with their acts, request a business card or at the very least write down their names and badge numbers.

And learn to be subtle. The best "street life" photos involve the subjects not knowing you're even there. Telephoto and high-ISO ain't just for shooting raccoons.

But if they ever tried to take my camera or asked me to have it I always said no. Everytime.

I keep two different criminal defense attorneys' cell numbers on speed dial. I also know at least the night shift weekday and weekend supervisors at the local PD, and they know that by the time I've requested them at a scene, I will also have one of those attorneys at least on speakerphone, if not on the way already. It makes them much more willing to actually go look up the law in question.

Never a good thing when you also happen to carry a gun at all times, lol.

Another reason for the lawyers and the voice recorder; at least they'll know exactly what was said before they got there, and they'll be there a lot quicker than if I have to go find a phone book first.

It was for this very reason I did not reply to this thread earlier. I simply did not see a photo or any evidence of there having been one. There is nothing of consiquence here, Despite not being with the press I've put my self into some awkward situations with police officers with my camera but never once have they "bothered me". In this situation I was literally surounded by uniform and plain clothed police officers, they literally sat there and watched me take every shot of the police cruser, This was a road block, and that is not to mention all the Medivac Flights I have shot where I am litterally bobbing and weaving my way threw uniforms to get into position. But, for all of those situations there was always a clear cut reason for the pressence of a camera that I am not seeing here. Police officers handing out citations isn't really a photoworthy event and I feel this may be what spawned their reaction, no clear cut reason to be there. It's times like this where you have to ask your self, "What exactly where you shooting?" If you can't come up with an answer that is more than "nothing special", then just leave the camera at your side, Just because you can does not mean you should.

I was shooting night life in my town and showing the overwhelming population of Police. Last year I had 4 officers in my dorm room at 4:00am(roommate and I were sleeping) they had to "change my court date" and try and pressure me into letting them search my room. My court date was for an underage ticket that night. First underage is $300 second is $600 something and the third is over $1000. This is a very rural town. in the surrounding towns underage tickets are less than $50, and the officers only hand them out if there is a disturbance. Here they stand outside the dorms trying to catch kids as they walk back to the dorms minding their own business.

Buy a camera that automatically writes images to a second memory card.

OR

A lot of cameras will allow you to write two files at a time. While shooting the camera will write a raw and a jpg file. I've never had to use that feature, my guess is that it makes two folders, one for Raw the other for JPG. When they ask to see the images show them the JPG folder.

Shoot what you want to shoot, but don't be a smart ass to the Cops. That's asking for trouble.

ya, im just sick of them ticketing all of the underage drinkers, ya it's illegal, but why dont they catch the real criminals. I know a lot of people that have moved to coke and heroin because they are afraid of getting breathalyzed.

Next time say "No. With all due respect officer I believe that you do not have the law behind you in this case. I request you call your Watch Commander on this matter or someone in law enforcement who has more expertise on 1st Amendment Rights and privacy matters."

And then say, "Good day, sir!"

<pause>

"I said, good day!"

:lol::lol::lol:

Buy a camera that automatically writes images to a second memory card.

OR

A lot of cameras will allow you to write two files at a time. While shooting the camera will write a raw and a jpg file. I've never had to use that feature, my guess is that it makes two folders, one for Raw the other for JPG. When they ask to see the images show them the JPG folder.

Shoot what you want to shoot, but don't be a smart ass to the Cops. That's asking for trouble.

I shoot Raw+jpg, they are both stored in the same folder. The camera displays the jpg on the screen but if you delete that it also deletes the Raw image.

Great info thanks. I asked and she told me I legally had to delete the photo's. The police are very corrupt in this town though. I will expose them all!!

Never ask a cop for legal advice, that's what lawyers are for. Cops have no obligation to tell you the truth, in fact they're taught to lie to suspects to obtain information.

I have to agree with Battou on this one.

ya, im just sick of them ticketing all of the underage drinkers, ya it's illegal, but why dont they catch the real criminals.

Real criminals? They're all breaking the law (and regularly it sounds), they're all criminals. Shame on the police for enforcing the law.

rfosness88 said:
I know a lot of people that have moved to coke and heroin because they are afraid of getting breathalyzed.

Doing drugs is stupid for any reason, but that's probably the one of the dumbest I've ever heard.

If no crime was committed by taking the photos, then they are not her concern. If a crime was committed, they are evidence, and deleting them would be tampering with that evidence.

How would they be evidence. He didnt take a picture of the girl committing the crime just sitting in the car.

I was shooting night life in my town and showing the overwhelming population of Police. Last year I had 4 officers in my dorm room at 4:00am(roommate and I were sleeping) they had to "change my court date" and try and pressure me into letting them search my room. My court date was for an underage ticket that night. First underage is $300 second is $600 something and the third is over $1000. This is a very rural town. in the surrounding towns underage tickets are less than $50, and the officers only hand them out if there is a disturbance. Here they stand outside the dorms trying to catch kids as they walk back to the dorms minding their own business.

I was with you right up til this point. The cops have the right to protect the people that live in that town. Under age drinking leads to all kinds of problems besides dui's and alcohol poisoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back