Police Harassing Timelapse Photographer (Video title)

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS:

Is how it's done!

Nice! See, the person in question even had an open carry gun on him and he was not harrassed! That officer of the law understood and respected the individuals, that he swore to protect, rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on man, the cop asked for ID and what he was doing. Steamrolled, really?
Did you even watch the video? If that was all he did, there wouldn't be anything to discuss.

Did you even watch the video? If that was all he did, there wouldn't be anything to discuss.

Yeah, I watched it twice. The first time I missed the fact that the dude actually handed over his ID. Wish we knew if he ended up having to leave or if they continued to let him shoot.

Yeah, I watched it twice. The first time I missed the fact that the dude actually handed over his ID. Wish we knew if he ended up having to leave or if they continued to let him shoot.

I would check the comments but theres like 11 pages hah.

That officer rocks btw. Made me tear up a little bit :)

THIS:

Is how it's done!

Nice! See, the person in question even had an open carry gun on him and he was not harrassed! That officer of the law understood and respected the individuals, that he swore to protect, rights.

That is nice to see. Unfortunately not all cops are like that, especially in small towns like mine where they have nothing better to do but pull me over for a tail light that was out. How am I supposed to know it's out; it's in the back of the car!

THIS:

Is how it's done!

That is nice to see. Unfortunately not all cops are like that, especially in small towns like mine where they have nothing better to do but pull me over for a tail light that was out. How am I supposed to know it's out; it's in the back of the car!

Check before you go driving, lol. I understand what you are saying. I've been pulled over nearly 20 times in the last few years without a ticket or warning handed out. It usually seems they are pulling me over hoping to find something to make their department some more money.

This video is similar, the cops were trying to tell her you can't video tape them because their lives were in danger. I a deep respect for law enforcement, but sometimes they go to far. BTW, the cops were investigated for possible racial profiling during a traffic stop, she won 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call authorities asking you why you are on top of a bridge taking pictures of traffic at night being steamrolled.

Not at all. They are there to investigate. They are will within the law asking what the guy is doing there. "Taking a time-lapse video." Taking video is not illegal. Therefore, the LEO has no legal authority to demand ID. It is the person's RIGHT to refuse such a demand. It's as simple as that.

Asking for an ID is not getting steam-rolled. Refusing to comply to an unlawful demand is not either. Succumbing to it IS getting steam-rolled. See the difference there?

I believe if you watch the video closely. You will see the photographer has his car parked right next to him on the bridge. In most states it's a traffic violation to park on bridges and overpasses. If this is the case here the officer is investigating a traffic offense. When being investigated for a traffic violation you must produce a valid operators license (I.D.)

I wouldn't call authorities asking you why you are on top of a bridge taking pictures of traffic at night being steamrolled.

Not at all. They are there to investigate. They are will within the law asking what the guy is doing there. "Taking a time-lapse video." Taking video is not illegal. Therefore, the LEO has no legal authority to demand ID. It is the person's RIGHT to refuse such a demand. It's as simple as that.

Asking for an ID is not getting steam-rolled. Refusing to comply to an unlawful demand is not either. Succumbing to it IS getting steam-rolled. See the difference there?

I believe if you watch the video closely. You will see the photographer has his car parked right next to him on the bridge. In most states it's a traffic violation to park on bridges and overpasses. If this is the case here the officer is investigating a traffic offense. When being investigated for a traffic violation you must produce a valid operators license (I.D.)

I wondered that as well, but didn't want to bring up another "what if". In some of the bridges I go over, I see No Stopping or No Standing (or parking) signs on it.

Either way, at this point in the thread just about everything has been covered and either agreed or disagreed upon. It's been a rather friendly debate actually; kind of nice to hear opinions expressed respectfully.

It is illegal to park on bridges in PA, but why wouldn't the cop just say hey, you can't park here?

It is illegal to park on bridges in PA, but why wouldn't the cop just say hey, you can't park here?

That's not nearly enough of a scene to give him his hard-on. Far more force is required to get that power rush. :D

I was a Criminal Justice major until I saw the types of people who were getting into the field (classmates and instructors). Needles to say, I am no longer a Criminal Justice major...

Bossy said:
He was wearing his big boy shorts and was treating the photog like a hippy. Did you see when the officer was confused and he said, "what's a time lapse"?

Last edited:
David of the Strobist Blog addressed this issue in a recent post. Here's a link to "The Photographer's Rights" PDF.

LINK:

B
ottom line: The Po-Po's can't do crap to you if you're in public. You can record them all you want to, even if they tell you to stop. If they harass you, or try to take your camera or equipment, you can file formal complaints or sue the department...or worse, go to the paper with the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back