Police Harassing Timelapse Photographer (Video title)

Status
Not open for further replies.
its his attitude. regardless of wether its legal or not. cop "why are you taking photos" guy" because i can" sorry but thats just a snotty remark.

Well, it's an accurate remark. He IS taking photos 'because he can' and shouldn't have to worry about the police coming up to him and asking for his papers.

come on. someone says that to you, your going to think, "what an ass"

That's the thing...in this day and age everyone is so worried about terrorism and such anything out of the ordinary can lead to unwanted attention even if it's innocent. The police are no different. As far as I know if you're not driving there is no requirement to carry id in the US....I think if any locally tried their would be major pushback.

its his attitude. regardless of wether its legal or not. cop "why are you taking photos" guy" because i can" sorry but thats just a snotty remark.

Your missing the point. Your attitude should not matter to the officer. He's there to asses the situation not you as a person.

But he can't accurately asses the situation without asking questions and finding out who he is dealing with. And he is there to assess the person as well, they are part of the whole situation.

A post from Skieur that I agree with! Nice!

without a charge the arrest wont hold. but most of us prefer not to spend the night in jail wether were right or wrong. you guys may be fine with not showing your id and beign arrested and then later let go. i prefer to just be nice, let them see my i.d. and keep shooting photos. heck, ive even gone to a cop and had him move his car because he was in the way of my shot. treat the police nice and you get treated nice in return.

I would much rather spend a night in jail for not committing a crime, then contacting the ACLU upon my release and getting the officer fired or at the very least reprimanded.

i guess thats the diffrence. id just show him my id so i could continue my photography.

Your missing the point. Your attitude should not matter to the officer. He's there to asses the situation not you as a person.

But he can't accurately asses the situation without asking questions and finding out who he is dealing with. And he is the to assess the person as well, they are part of the whole situation.

What 'situation' are you referring to? The one where the guy was doing long exposures of a highway at night to compose a short film out of? Seems hardly like a police "situation" to me. More like someone trying to mind their own business and pursue an artform.

without a charge the arrest wont hold. but most of us prefer not to spend the night in jail wether were right or wrong. you guys may be fine with not showing your id and beign arrested and then later let go. i prefer to just be nice, let them see my i.d. and keep shooting photos. heck, ive even gone to a cop and had him move his car because he was in the way of my shot. treat the police nice and you get treated nice in return.

I would much rather spend a night in jail for not committing a crime, then contacting the ACLU upon my release and getting the officer fired or at the very least reprimanded.

i guess thats the diffrence. id just show him my id so i could continue my photography.

For some reason, I suspect the police officers would make him leave (unconstitutionally) even after showing his ID. They had it out for him.

Are you being honest? In that situation, you would spend the night (or longer) in jail instead of just handing over your ID? If so, I gotta hand it to you for sticking up for what you believe in.

Jail is not a fun place, even for just one night.

Are you being honest? In that situation, you would spend the night (or longer) in jail instead of just handing over your ID? If so, I gotta hand it to you for sticking up for what you believe in.

Yeah. Silly him. Standing up for what is right as opposed to getting steam-rollered by uninformed LEos.

Here's the deal, sheeple: I have rights. You have rights. We all have rights. But the minute we start succumbing to improper acts by law enforcement, then our rights will suddenly disappear.

Yes, I am being honest. Frankly, I am not too afraid of our local holding cells. I live in a very small town (20,000 people max). That's exactly what I would be doing, is sticking up for what I believe in. Cops should be aware of citizens rights, and if that's the way that I need to send a message, then I'll do it. It's just a night in jail anyway. It's not like I was committing a crime.

Yeah. Silly him. Standing up for what is right as opposed to getting steam-rollered by uninformed LEos.

Here's the deal, sheeple: I have rights. You have rights. We all have rights. But the minute we start succumbing to improper acts by law enforcement, then our rights will suddenly disappear.

I wouldn't call authorities asking you why you are on top of a bridge taking pictures of traffic at night being steamrolled. I call being racially profiled being steamrolled. I call some of the things going on in our schools being steamrolled. I call SOPA being steamrolled.

Come on man, the cop asked for ID and what he was doing. Steamrolled, really?

Yes, I am being honest. Frankly, I am not too afraid of our local holding cells. I live in a very small town (20,000 people max). That's exactly what I would be doing, is sticking up for what I believe in. Cops should be aware of citizens rights, and if that's the way that I need to send a message, then I'll do it. It's just a night in jail anyway. It's not like I was committing a crime.

Well, if you were a defense attorney and I was in need of one, I'd want to hire you to defend me.

I understand the principal of what's going on, but I just think it's a dude taking pictures. And just a cop being the way most cops are.

For some reason, I suspect the police officers would make him leave (unconstitutionally) even after showing his ID. They had it out for him.

i just feel otherwise. i feel if he had just had a better attitude the police would have left him alone.

i dont have any issue with sticking up with something you believe in. but i also believe in choosing my battles. and something as small and meaningless as this just isnt worth it to me.

I wouldn't call authorities asking you why you are on top of a bridge taking pictures of traffic at night being steamrolled.

Not at all. They are there to investigate. They are will within the law asking what the guy is doing there. "Taking a time-lapse video." Taking video is not illegal. Therefore, the LEO has no legal authority to demand ID. It is the person's RIGHT to refuse such a demand. It's as simple as that.

Come on man, the cop asked for ID and what he was doing. Steamrolled, really?

Asking for an ID is not getting steam-rolled. Refusing to comply to an unlawful demand is not either. Succumbing to it IS getting steam-rolled. See the difference there?

Well, if you were a defense attorney and I was in need of one, I'd want to hire you to defend me.

I understand the principal of what's going on, but I just think it's a dude taking pictures. And just a cop being the way most cops are.

Accept "most" officers know and understand the rights of the individuals they swore to protect and serve. That is not how any of the officers I've spoken with, been pulled over by or questioned by have treated me. They have treated me with the same respect I treat them. If they cross that line, my voice will be heard.

THIS:

Is how it's done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back