Politics, beliefs, and art

Status
Not open for further replies.

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have noticed being in general a conservative right winger i seem to get along rather differently among most of the artist types whether painting, photographing plays, or just in general.

But oddly enough, this seems more restricted to a American/canadian phenomena as in dealing with people in online situations (other photographer/artists) from elsewhere they arent 90% or more left wing like in Canada/the U.S.

How does this matter? Greatly. Not just in general getting along but the artists perception of the world is seen from their specific lens. And makes a difference in shooting content/style. Browsing someones online portfolio on japan or Eygpt yesterday and the day before i was thinking of this.
While politics/identity are usually avoided in a conversation i have become aware of the vast differences in peoples work in consideration of their cultural beliefs/politics.

Comments, similar experiences, appreciated, interesting.

I have come to my own (in relating with others and their work) conclusion that artists in the west are generally further left wing. Seems to change in Egypt, japan, china, Eurozone kind of split.

Course the history of art spain? Maybe? Not sure. Coming from grecco rome?
Classical renaissance i would consider mostly something else.

Last edited:
Your world view causes you to see the exact same phenomena in a different light than those of the political left in the US.

I have personally witnessed and been on the receiving end of this myself.

Without getting into trouble by going off on a political rant that is not photographic in nature, I can say that my view of the world is substantially different than others around me.
I am in a photo heavy region (New Mexico) where photography has a very rich history and plenty of subject matter.
But political beliefs as they are along with cultural aspects that tend to lean one side or the other usually results in subject matter that is viewed differently.
I actually overheard a conversation at the New Mexico State Fair one year in the Art-Photo section between two people with radically diff. views of the world.
One loved the composition of a picture of a Navajo lady and her daughter standing next to a Horno. (Unusual photo because it was on the Rez), but regardless, the lady talking with the other went on a tirade over cultural theft and exploitation and said the photo should have never even been taken.

IMO, today political conservatives view the world one way and reflect that in images. Liberals another.

No wrong or right, just simply diff.

ive learned to just let that water roll off my shoulder as it were.

Political discussions should be taken to the Subscribers' Forum, whether photography-related or not.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back