Poofzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not help me get better if you see things you don't like that i have done in post? Pixmedic & derrel understood and helped me in the first page, why don't you also? I'm not saying that you have to, but critique this photo like you would critique a regular photo. I'd like to think that TPF is a place where people who enjoy photography help each other out even if we don't really like the type of photography the other person is engaged in. For me personally that is a sign of maturity and mutual respect. It's like quote from Aristotle: "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Honestly if you want this to work well you've got to go study Ray Harryhausen's work. And then that whole era of cinematography. Those old films often used lizards and models combined with real life actors/sets in order to blend the two together. That's what you need to study if you're going to start to pick out the elements that you need to combine and how you need to work in order to merge two subjects of vastly different size where you want to enlarge one to such a significant size.

As a starting point shifting the depth of field on the hamster shot is critical. The detail is far too flat - you need to back off, use a longer lens to zoom in and then combine that with a small aperture and a huge depth of field so that the hamster gains that 3D appearance that you've already part got in the landscape shot.

Why not help me get better if you see things you don't like that i have done in post? Pixmedic & derrel understood and helped me in the first page, why don't you also? I'm not saying that you have to, but critique this photo like you would critique a regular photo. I'd like to think that TPF is a place where people who enjoy photography help each other out even if we don't really like the type of photography the other person is engaged in. For me personally that is a sign of maturity and mutual respect. It's like quote from Aristotle: "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Do you want to get better at photgraphy or photochopping?

There is a pretense to your question and i personally don't accept your categorization. To me a picture either works or it doesn't. This way of rigid thinking reminds of people who did not want to recognize the digital medium as we transitioned slowly. Now i'm not really interested in putting you on the spot, you've helped me in my champagne picture where you pointed out that the light and shadows were coming from different angles, but don't you recognize yourself like those people who didn't accept digital as real photography? And i'm sorry if i misquoted you or put words in your mouth, correct me if that is the case.

I'm bowing out and removed my posts.

Do you want to get better at photgraphy or photochopping?

There is a pretense to your question and i personally don't accept your categorization. To me a picture either works or it doesn't. This way of rigid thinking reminds of people who did not want to recognize the digital medium as we transitioned slowly. Now i'm not really interested in putting you on the spot, you've helped me in my champagne picture where you pointed out that the light and shadows were coming from different angles, but don't you recognize yourself like those people who didn't accept digital as real photography? And i'm sorry if i misquoted you or put words in your mouth, correct me if that is the case.

Hamlet,I thought your reply to that question was an amazing example of statesmanship and good thinking. Bravo!

The use of the pejorative word "photochop", which is not just a mis-spelling of Photoshop, but another word entirely, is really kind of puzzling. The entire premise of this thread was a fun, kind of campy send-up of the Japanese horror movie genre, where a super-sized animal menaces a city...and the response that image got? One member, who is posting in this thread, actually began a new post in the Feedback forum, denigrating you and this post as being clever trolling. Not sure if the questioner was implying that you need to become an EXPERT in fakery, or to NEVER, ever do compositing, or what.

I just cannot comprehend all the "aggro" here toward this silly, fun picture. Just.Can't.Figure.Out.Why.It's.So.Damned.Offensive. Makes no sense....it's as if you posted a picture of a kid with a sign that says, "I like to kick puppies!"

I wasn't even aware there was a feedbackforum. I personally don't really want to get into these arguments that really serve to only annoy everyone. You be the judge of whether my conduct on the forum is inappropriate or not.

I'm bowing out and removed my posts.

I've decided not to reply further to any hamster-related posts. Just seems like they always wind up polarizing otherwise agreeable forum posters.

Addendum:I too have pulled all of my posts except this one, and am bowing out of this thread.

Last edited:
I wasn't even aware there was a feedbackforum. I personally don't really want to get into these arguments that really serve to only annoy everyone. You be the judge of whether my conduct on the forum is inappropriate or not.

No, your conduct on this forum is not inappropriate at all.

As I understand it, the feedback forum is intended mostly for feedback to the owners/moderators as to how the site is operated. As for me, I have witnessed tremendous growth in your photographic ability and your attempt at a unique art form. Not only is it interesting and fun, but it is a much-needed break from the common and ordinary. I say keep it up, as you are bound to discover your niche.

Folks. I moved this into the just for fun forum for a reason. Serious critiques are not appropriate here.

Everyone chill out and enjoy mecha hamster.

FWIW ... I just bought PhotoShop Elements 12 ... so beware for some really bad stuff until I learn how to use it.

As I understand it, the feedback forum is intended mostly for feedback to the owners/moderators as to how the site is operated. As for me, I have witnessed tremendous growth in your photographic ability and your attempt at a unique art form. Not only is it interesting and fun, but it is a much-needed break from the common and ordinary. I say keep it up, as you are bound to discover your niche.

Well i'm not sure if i'll persist in this category, i just like to dip my toe in all types of aspects of photography to keep things fresh and interesting and in the same time broaden my horizon. The drawback of course is that spanning my attention this wide shows in my work, it is clumsy and done by a beginner in any particular subject, but everyone has to start somewhere. But like you said: "we all find our unique way." I just think that you have to keep looking if you wanna find the thing that gives you the most joy. That is really my reasoning, however poor it may be.

For the record, Hamlet, the Just for Fun section is really the only section on the forum where people know (or are SUPPOSED to know) to keep their feedback to themselves. All the other galleries, feedback is encouraged and expected.

If you're going to be trying these far-out things, that's totally cool... you gotta learn somewhere... and I've seen some people do some AMAZING things with the very concept that you're just starting to play with.

HOWEVER... you're going to need to expect some lashback if you post it anywhere other than here. It's the nature of both the forum and the internet as a whole.

I do agree with you that this is made with fun in mind, but that is only partially true. I wanted feedback and critiques from people much more knowledgeable than i am, someone like yourself and i have not discouraged anyone from making it. Braineack was about to give me some advice and i was looking forward to that, because other people can point out flaws in my work much more easier because they are more objective. But he removed his post.

Ok. Well... Going forward I recommend you be explicit about both your intent, and what you are looking for in terms of critique.

Your threads really do tend to polarize the board for whatever reason. This might help to minimize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back