Popeye

PhotoriousMe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a Popeye doll my dad had back in the 1930 and was probably made by a family member as they were quit poor. He grew up in London during WW2. I remember my dad telling me that this was the only toy he had at the time. At a little over 80 years old it's seen better days and almost looks creepy in dime light but is an interesting subject to photograph. CC welcome.

Dave

Sailer.jpg

Bust.jpg

Very cool; and kids today complain when they're bored with the 100 games they already have for Nintendo-or-whatever-it-is.... I think the exposure could stand about a 1/2 stop or so boost, and I think a reflector image left might not have gone amiss.

Awesome piece of folk art. Actually, that is in good condition. Not that you would sell it but it would be worth a lot of money to the right collectors. I could see that going for $400 to $600. Maybe more to the right collector. Keep it in a cedar chest to preserve it. You should consider getting it appraised for insurance purposes.

Pretty much everyone was poor in the 30's, great depression. Those were real hard times according to my 100 year old grandma. She said they ate potatoes 2x a day, 7 days a week for several years to give an idea. She grew up in cold mining town in PA.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Great doll. I was born in the Great Depression but by the time I knew what was going on (more or less) World War 2 was happening and my dad had a good job. I used to go behind the factory where he worked (we lived nearby) and find hand grenade casings that were flawed and had been thrown out. I'd take 'em home. For a kid under 10 years old it was great stuff. (Nothing inside the grenades, it was just the metal casing.) Most people don't appreciate times when 25 percent of the workforce was unemployed. The great Recession was only a tiny wake up call. No big welfare system in the Old Daze either. People were deathly afraid of having to go to the county poor farm where you weren't treated so hot.

Thank you for the replies. I will try increasing the exposure a tad. The doll is about 14" in length and I'm thinking about putting it in a shadow box under glass.

Dave

What a treasure for your family to pass on. I would put something written with it to ensure its story gets passed onto future generations. And add more than just a description of the doll.
Hubby's grandmother lived to 102 and her stories were amazing. Those shouldn't be lost!
( Yes, protect it somehow )

Most reactions

Back