Portaits by someone who knows nothing about portraits

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My parents wanted some shots done with their motorcycle for christmas cards. This was also my first "serious" session with off-camera flash.

Don't bother commenting on my dad's face ... that's just the way it is with him :lol:

Last edited:
1 bothers me since the front tire is so close to the edge, I like 2 dunno why, seems like the bike is more important than they are in the picture tho, dunno if that matters. 3's background is too close and also really busy/distracting for me

Wow I think #2 is great! The background is really cool and definitely adds. I think the people should be brighter though.

I like all the shots, although I think it needs a smidge touch up to bring out the highlights like the bike is a little dark other then that good shots :thumbup:

Wow I think #2 is great! The background is really cool and definitely adds. I think the people should be brighter though.

+1
Could not have put it better myself.
+2

Most of the shots look as if there should be more light on the RH side of the frame to me.

I agree - needs more light to the right.

#1 the sky and upper portion of the horizon and heads of the people are blown out, way too bright.

2 and 3 look dark, especially to the right.

Thanks for the honest feedback ;)

The second and third shots were taken with the flash off-camera to the left, that's why there's a lack of light to the right. The first is cut off a bit at the front tire because I had to rotate the picture a bit.

Very nice epp_b for your first time(really really good). You know you can get really creative with lighting within a 5-8ft of the subject, all you need to vary is the angle of the light source. By having it closer to your subjects you can also save power and recycle time by reducing the output of the flash. It really varies on each location and each shoot on the sweet spot so I really can't specify. But by looking at these I would've concentrated more on having the flash on the right side of the frame where your folks and their bike are illuminated and just vary the angle of the light source and camera for some creativity.

I'm rooting for ya..keep it up!

im a noob myself so take my comments with a grain of salt. 1. looks like the background was photoshopped in, also there is a bushy tree behind the females head that at first glimpse looks like her hair look bushier than it is. 2. i like, but subjects do need to be brighter (use of a reflector maybe?) 3. the highs seem a little high on the wall. overall i think the composition is nice and they are creative shots. keep at it and have fun.

Adding a fill flash would be great for #2.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back