Portfolio Question

Try to keep the pics in the portfolio related to what the client will want from you. Wedding shots for potential wedding clients etc. They probably are not interested in landscape or product photography. Keep it simple and yes go big.
Good luck!

Having done work for several different disciplines, I have put together portfolios for each. One for weddings/portraits, one for industrial (i.e Arch./Eng.), one for general, one for product, etc. Keep in mind that you want to present something that appeals to your client. Thats the trick though, because everyone is different. You don't want froo-froo looking albums for industrial, NOR for weddings. Keep them clean and un cluttered. Be VERY careful of doing any scrap-booking type presentation. Leave that up to the client.
A complete array of sizes from 3-1/2x5 to 8x12 can help determine what someone may want, and helps them see what your worth. In a portfolio, keep the image the same so as to compare. This may sound a little bit like overkill, but if you have four sizes of the same image, it helps the client determine what you can do, and what they may want.
Bordered images (white borders) help with some imagery, but not with all. So a small mixture of each helps here. Keep images 'themed' together. I.e. if doing a wedding, put the album in order of bride, then groom, then bride arrival, etc. Show diff. weddings if you can, but keep it short and sweet. Also; depending on the individual (photographer) a mixture of B&W with color works, but again, try to keep them 'themed' together.
The concept is to show what you have done, and can do. Samples (usually lower res.), a price sheet and reference list (if you have one) can go a LLLLLLOOONNNGGGG way in cinching the deal.

One more note. Not necessarily part of the portfolio, but a brochure made up can help out tremendously here. This is a teaser of your work as well as good advertising.

Most reactions

Back