Portfolio/thoughts

Okay.. brutally honest critique: I went through all three pages and out of all of those images these: "Day83/365", "6W2A1469-EDIT", 6W2A6223-EDIT", 6W2A0140", and "Day29/365" are the only ones that IMO are truly worthy of being juried. There's lots of nice-enough pictures in the collection, but the overall look and feel to me is that you went through your whole body of work and started pulling out images that either (1) you liked because of a personal connection, or (2) you thought were 'good enough'. There are many images, which, while I'm sure they record meaningful personal moments, are not what I would think of as 'professional' images; lots of minor compositional errors, a number of your monochromes are very mid-tone rich, and there are a number that IMO have serious exposure issues.

Generally speaking, an application type portfolio is something that you put together by shooting specifically for it, NOT something you assemble by going through your image bank and going "That will do". That said, from what I can see on their website, the bar doesn't appear to be set very high, but from what I recall of your posting, many of the images in this collection are not of the standard I know you are capable of.

John, thank you so much for your time going through all 150 photos. I appreciate your feedback :) . I have been shooting for this portfolio for the past several months. Almost all these were taken within the past 3-4 months. That said, these are some of my favorite images, yes. Which is what I want to submit, work that speaks to me as an artist.

Again thanks for your thoughts!

I will check it out at home. Dont want to go trough 150 photos at work ;).

Thanks for sharing. Interesting portfolio and good luck with your submission. JMO - the puddle picture, while interesting, doesn't fit with the theme of the rest of your work shown here. If I had to cut one pic, that would be it.

150 images is a lot for them to go through and rate.
Let us know how it goes!

I noticed it said clickin "MOMS"...

What if your a woman, but not a mom? Do they require you to get pregnant before they will accept you? Or do they make you wait until you have actually given birth?

Agreed with some other posters that this is way too huge. Kind of like a resume that lists what you had for lunch on September 5th, 1987, and volunteering at a retirement home for a weekend 7 years ago, etc.

A portfolio you construct for a specific purpose, and pick out maybe a dozen photos at most that consistently and maximally speak to that purpose. Models often even only do 4 photos on a single sheet of paper.

I noticed it said clickin "MOMS"...

What if your a woman, but not a mom? Do they require you to get pregnant before they will accept you? Or do they make you wait until you have actually given birth?

There are actually men on the forum. Of course the far majority are women, some older, some young, some mothers, some not. I know the title is not the best, in fact my husband and I have actually discussed the fact that it sucks because automatically people think MWAC. But there are truly some amazingly talented people on the forum. And pro is something that is considered very hard to be accepted in. So naturally, it has been a goal of mine since I joined two years ago :). Hopefully I get in but after John's critique I have been second guessing my set.... So I need to clear my head and look at it again later.

Agreed with some other posters that this is way too huge. Kind of like a resume that lists what you had for lunch on September 5th, 1987, and volunteering at a retirement home for a weekend 7 years ago, etc.

A portfolio you construct for a specific purpose, and pick out maybe a dozen photos at most that consistently and maximally speak to that purpose. Models often even only do 4 photos on a single sheet of paper.

I don't see why you would even put this. It is required for me to have 150. No more, no less. I would have much preferred a smaller number :) I think the point is to show that you know what you are doing. Not that you just have 15-20 good photos.

What is the organization that is asking you to provide this large portfolio?

If you would like to see my professional portfolio please view it on my website where the portfolios are broken down in to much smaller portfolios. This portfolio was created for a specific purpose, to fit within specific guidelines. This is my personal work portfolio. Which is completely different from my professional work one. (although similar in style ;) )

If you would like to see my professional portfolio please view it on my website where the portfolios are broken down in to much smaller portfolios. This portfolio was created for a specific purpose, to fit within specific guidelines. This is my personal work portfolio. Which is completely different from my professional work one. (although similar in style ;) )

I didn't see your selfie's portfolio on there. Come on Paige quit holding out on us ;)

Last edited:
Dog in the water and dog in the rain are two photos that could be culled. The second one, the dog in the rain, in not a really good picture. It should be eliminated I think.

does it pay a lot of money or something? is it a job offer?
I like your photos, I looked briefly. Most I couldn't legit comment im not knowledgeable enough.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back