Portrait and Event Shooting

DBlack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Rebel XTI, any recommendations for a good lens for shooting portraits, indoor and out?

What's your price range?

The 50mm 1.8 is good (great at it's price of $79)
The 85mm 1.8 is one of Canon's absolute best lenses at $300ish I believe

For event shooting you'll probably want a zoom... there are a lot of zoom lenses! If you need a good wide angle, the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is reviewed well, and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is reviewed well too. Those are third party, but supposedly great lenses.

What's your price range and what are you looking for in a lens. Fixed Focal length or zoom. I love my 24-70 f2.8 for portraits, but it is kinda on the pricey side.

For shooting portraits, I prefer to shoot primes... unless the subjects are running around like children. My favorite focal lengths on my Canon was 24mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 135mm. On a budget, you can start with 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4) and/or the 85mm f1.8.

If a zoom is necessary, the 24-70 f2.8 is known as a staple for Canon Wedding photographers. Fast aperture, wonderful image quality. I found it a bit short on the focal range for the weight.

BTW... For portraits, the lighting is as important (even more important) than the lens. Be sure to put some thought into lighting if you want successful portraits.. whether you choose dedicated flash, reflectors, or full blown strobes.

Price range is under 400.00 USD. right now, I have the Canon 18/55 starter lens and I'm not too happy with it.

for $400, buy a 50mm 1.8 and then USAYIT's 85mm 1.8. You'd still have some change to spare.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back