Portrait for C&C!

CDMorgan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a shoot with a model on Wednesday. Got quite a few good shots I believe. I may post more as I get them edited. But for now, I'd love some C&C on this photo! Aside from accidentally cutting off the tips of her fingers, what else do you guys think could use improvements? Thanks!

5440bd12750de.jpg

I'm not a fan of the torchiere in the background. The setting in general has multiple problems in that it is not an ideal setting for this type of shot.

Also, the underwear model should be looking at the camera. Looking deep into the lens seductively.

Lighting on the front of the model is good, but she needs a hair light.

What would make this a better setting for this type of shot?

Agree with Designer. The underlying concept is good, but the eye is pulled away from the darker subject to the much brighter background. I would start by swapping out the bed linens for unpatterened white. I would move things around so that the bit of doorframe wasn't in the shot, and get rid of the lamp entirely. If you want a bit of background fill, then drop a speedlight back there at low power. I would add a hairlight and a broad fill to reduce the shadow intensity in her mid-section and make sure that her face is at least 1/3 stop brighter than the rest of the scene.

Wouldn't it take away from the mood and seductiveness of the image by adding more light onto the subject?

Wouldn't it take away from the mood and seductiveness of the image by adding more light onto the subject?
Not when it's done carefully; we're not talking about blasting her with 500 w/s; for the hair light, I would probably go 2 stops below key, for the fill 1 1/2 stops below key (maybe 2, depending on the mood) and for the background 1 1/2 - 2 below. Don't think of it so much as adding light, but rather as reducing shadow.

Ahh gotcha. That makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back