Portrait Lens Advice

No Pentax lens is fast in auto focus. And a portrait lens anyway, not a sports lens.

The DA70 might be half the price but it's only a quarter as good, if that.

85mm, 100mm and 135mm are my favorites when it comes to traditional portraits using a fixed focal length lens. Of the lenses you listed under consideration, I would recommend either of the 85mm lens'. 85mm is great for isolating your portrait subject by rendering a shallow depth of field at apertures in the wide open range, and is versatile in that it can be used indoors because of it's relatively shorter focal length compared to other portrait specific lenses, and the 85mm focal length is also great outdoors using available light. I used this lens for a very long time on a cropped-censor camera and found that the crop-factor was of no issue when shooting outdoors. Indoors I found it to still be very useable, it just sometimes requires a bit of knowledge of the indoor space and an understanding of the lens focal length. In most cases if all you're doing is portraits, most indoor spaces will give you enough room even if you have to use every inch of the space. If you find that you don't have the space, luckily you'll have a 50mm in your bag for just such an occasion. If auto focus is important to you, go with the Sigma. If auto focus is something you can live without, I hear that the Rokinon is a decent lens when a knowledgeable photographer is using it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back