Portrait lens

dab_20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, guys. I'm looking for some advice on a portrait lens. I got some great advice the last time I asked about a Macro Lens (I ended up buying the Sigma 105mm and LOVE it!).
I honestly don't know what I should be looking for. I do know what I want out of it:

I want a lens that is VERY sharp. I want something with a smaller focal length for standard portrait purposes. I also want something that does well in low light.

Money is kind of an issue, I don't really have a price range, but basically I want something great for the lowest amount possible.

Any ideas? Something compatible with Olympus four thirds cameras.

The usual recommendation for portraits, is something in the 50-100mm range. Back in the days of 35mm film, most people said that 100mm was an ideal focal length for portraits (although maybe a little long for full body shots).

The main reason is that a longer lens (focal length) will force you to be farther away from your model...and when you're farther away, the perspective is more flattening and thus more flattering. It may not be easily apparent, but if you think of the opposite (a short lens and getting really close) it becomes more apparent that people look best when you're not so close.

Of course, if you shoot in a space that won't allow you to back up...or if you don't want to be so far away from your subjects, you'll need a wider lens (shorter focal length).

I don't know much about what is available for your Olympus camera...but you might have a look at the Sigma 30mm F1.4 or the Sigma 50mm F1.4. Both can be very sharp lenses and of course, the large maximum aperture is good for low light.

I got the 35mm f1.8 prime lens for my Nikon D3100 it's really good in low light anf for $200.00 it was well worth the money!

Nino G. Photography

www.ninogphotography.com

Why don't you add a Softar filter to your 105? (or another brand equivalent) That would soften the image a little and improve the perception of skin texture rendering, without getting really expensive. 105s are fine for usual portraits.

I got the 35mm f1.8 prime lens for my Nikon D3100 it's really good in low light anf for $200.00 it was well worth the money!
But has distortion issue when used as a portrait lens. The AF-S 35 mm f/1.8G lens also has some lateral chromatic aberration (CA) issues. Lateral CA is difficult to fix post process.

Doing portraiture well requires a number of lenses, not just one.

Patrice is right insofar as sharpness is not the only quality to look for when trying to select a portrait lens.

You don't mention what kind of portraiture you want to do.

My favorite portrait lens is the Nikon 200 mm f/2 prime lens.
AF-S NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II

Since cost seems to be a major issue, look to the 3rd party lenses.

Most reactions

Back