Portrait of a Girl

The Phototron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to create a series as I try out different lighting arrangements. So these continues from my previous posts.

2153934858_8d26d0dcf3_b.jpg

2153937488_17588e9ca0_b.jpg

3. (Can't decide between the two, what do you think?)
2153144695_39aa8093df_b.jpg

One light behind subject left, aimed at a gold reflector facing the subject's right and a mirror directly in front of the subject.

Comments and critiques are welcome as usual. The soft touch is on purpose.

I think you're off to a good start.

You might try toning down the hairlight, and although the lighting on the face is good, I'd like to see more substantial catch-lights in the eyes.

I think you're off to a good start.

You might try toning down the hairlight, and although the lighting on the face is good, I'd like to see more substantial catch-lights in the eyes.
Thanks.

I'm not sure how to tone down the hairlight for this set up, because it provides all the light, the other two are just reflectors. Maybe I could try placing the flash in front, and use a reflector for hairlight.

What do you mean more substantial catch-light? Larger light source? I will try with an umbrella next time.

Again thanks for taking time to leave a comment, I was hoping someone would point me in the right direction.

She continues to be a really lovely model, and you continue taking lovely photos of her.
Of the two versions between which you can't decide, my vote goes very clearly to the bluer one, for the yellow one once more shows those competing "light sources", which they are not, I know! They are natural light and the golden reflector. But it still LOOKs like you worked with natural AND artificial light in that photo, the two sources competing.

Max is also commenting on the catch lights ... I sometimes find it a little irritating when what are supposed to be LIGHTS are entire little pictures of their own in someone else's eyes (which I feel is happening here, I can almost see you and the camera on tripod and the room behind you). Is that what you wanted?

She continues to be a really lovely model, and you continue taking lovely photos of her.
Of the two versions between which you can't decide, my vote goes very clearly to the bluer one, for the yellow one once more shows those competing "light sources", which they are not, I know! They are natural light and the golden reflector. But it still LOOKs like you worked with natural AND artificial light in that photo, the two sources competing.

Max is also commenting on the catch lights ... I sometimes find it a little irritating when what are supposed to be LIGHTS are entire little pictures of their own in someone else's eyes (which I feel is happening here, I can almost see you and the camera on tripod and the room behind you). Is that what you wanted?
Actually it's not natural light at all. There's a flash directly behind her left, it is aimed at the gold reflector to her right and a mirror directly in front of her. So that the flash provides all the light, the other two just reflects off light from the flash.

As for the catchlights, I wasn't really paying that much attention to them during the session. And I am not bothered by them as much, but I prefer to have a soft-box-ish catchlight as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back