Portrait of my niece (C&C Please)

mrdean2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have attached a photo I took of my young niece beside a pumpkin. It is one of my favorite photos I have taken with my new DSLR, but I would like to hear some ideas on how it could be better.

The photo was taken with a Nikon D40, f/3.5, 1/50 shutter, ISO 800, 19mm focus. After importing into Lightroom I added some slight vignetting and boosted the sharpness. Thanks in advance for taking the time to critique the photo.

Attachments

• $Piper Pumpkin1.jpg
    $Piper Pumpkin1.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
looks to be a little on the soft side, for me a big improvement would be to have more of her and less of the trees. she just seems so small in comparison to the entirety of the frame.

I often like the concept of making the person rather small in the frame and leaving a large amount of negative space. I'm not sure if it works here though, mainly because there is a little too much going on in the background. If the background were a little less interesting it might be even better.

I personally think it looks rather sharp (though to be honest lightroom's sharpening is really not very good) but the pumpkin looks a little funny to me. I guess it almost looks like porcelain.

I like the shot though.. good job.

Most reactions

Back