Portrait picture help

I used the built-in zoom function and screwed a 2x telephoto converter on to the front of my cmaera.

I don't think a teleconverter is going to help -the reason a telephoto decreases DOF (increases backgroub blur) is that it has a larger physical aperture than the equivelent wide angle . . . adding a teleconverter will not change that.

What kind of camera do you have and what lens are you using?

What kind of camera do you have and what lens are you using?

It's a Canon A720IS. Can't change the lens on it. I can only screw on the teleconverter with a converter on the camera over it's lens.

As I stated earlier before we hijacked this thread(sorry about that) Point & shoot Cameras try to get everything in focus instead of trying to focus on one spot. I think I'm right on that? I'm not positive but pretty sure. someone with more p&s experience might know this better

I'm afriad to say it KrypticChewie, but i think you may have reached the limitations for your camera with regards to DOF. But i would like to add that you did get a fairly blurred background in some of those pictures, so i'm sure you could still get very pleasing results, it is a good camera !

The technical reason for this (if you care lol), is that the DOF of a camera is inversely proportional to the medium size. Point and shoots do not 'TRY' and make everything in focus, but they have very small sensors, which means very large DOF.

Your camera KrypticChewie has a max aperture of 2.8 at its shortest focal length, but unfortunately due to the smaller sensor will not give the same effects as using a 2.8 lens of the equivalent focal length on a larger format camera.

But don't let that put you off portraits at all, blurry backgrounds arn't everything :D

Oh darn.

Any suggestions about an appropriate camera when I finally get round to buying one?

Oh one more thing to add is if you download a free prog called Picasa It lets you blur the background using it. The downside is it does this in a circle which can be softened but it still gives you limited ability to blur the exact spots you want. But for a free prog that takes seconds to this who can complain?
asfar as a recomendation of a dlsr There is hundreds of threads on this subject which all end in people usually arguing that there camera is a better one than the next guys. The best advise is the one I followed when purchaseing mine.here is the steps u should take.
1- first find what you want in a camera.
2- What will be the primary shooting you will do.
3- look up which cameras appeal to you and read allot of reviews on them
4- go to the store (With NO MONEY IN YOUR POCKETS)and hold all the models you like play around with them and see which feels the best in your hands.
5- after sleeping on it go buy the one you like the best

This is a good start to finding your first dlsr. Not pushing my camera on you these are the reasons I chose it. I originally was in between Nikon d200 or Canon rebel xti. after reading up and going to the store to get a feel for them I ended up with a Sony.
1- the Sony felt the most comfortable in my hands
2- It has a built in image stabilizer in the camera body Canon & Nikon you have to pay extra for it in each lens you want it on.
3- The Sony has a built in slave for all there Flashes (so you don't have to purchase shoes and remotes to use a off camera flash)
4- Sony is using the same body as Minolta which means every Af lens made by sony or Minolta will fit on this camera (most lenses being $50 on ebay)
these are some of the reasons I went with a sony. You might buy one and hate it. it's all about what is good for you.

It depends entirely on your budget. But a DSLR would be your best bet (point and shoots are inferior really).

A good (and cheaper) way to start would be with something like a Canon XTi, or Nikon D80 bought 'body only' and then a 50mm 1.8 lens (which is a popular choice due to it's value and good image quality).

The 50mm is great for portraits and getting the nice blurred background, but is slightly limiting due to it being a prime (doesn't zoom).

You can always expand in future though, by adding more lenses.

Wow! Isn't the xti like $500 US body only?! Living here in Trinidad having to ship that down and our exchange rate I might end up spending close to $1000 US.

Sigh @ hot living in the states

It depends entirely on your budget. But a DSLR would be your best bet (point and shoots are inferior really).

A good (and cheaper) way to start would be with something like a Canon XTi, or Nikon D80 bought 'body only' and then a 50mm 1.8 lens (which is a popular choice due to it's value and good image quality).

The 50mm is great for portraits and getting the nice blurred background, but is slightly limiting due to it being a prime (doesn't zoom).

You can always expand in future though, by adding more lenses.

D80 + 50mm F/1.8 is a fantastic combo.

Here's an example using that combo - not the best shot I know but a decent example of the shalow DOF you're going for. (straight out of the camera except for a slight crop and border)

Ginger_Camera1.jpg

What was the f number (is that how you say it?) in that picture?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back