Portrait post-processing for c&c

sjconner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.conner-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is another portrait of the young cowboy. I did minimal precessing for number one and ran number two thought Coffee Shop Perfect Portrait. Did I do too much on number two? I kinda like it but it may be too much. What do you think?

Thanks, Susan

Too much... There's mild posterization going on because of the processing. The first one is much better,

I've never seen a Coffee Shop Perfect Portrait before, but if this is the effect, I don't care for it.

As far as the original goes, this is a handsome young man and I really like the look he is emoting. Kinda reminds me of the John Wayne film, The Cowboys. Your camera position is good. However, the shoulders being rolled forward contradicts that emotion and makes him seem smaller. A better body position IMO would be to have the shoulders square to the camera.

The lighting is flat and I would've prefered some shadow on one side or the other to enhance the determined look he is giving off. There is some subtle detail (that the edited version kills) in the background of being in a stable. I would think that some additional lighting to show some more of that detail and to separate him from the blackness to be an improvement. Not much is needed, only a kiss of light.

Thanks for sharing.

Here is another portrait of the young cowboy. I did minimal precessing for number one and ran number two thought Coffee Shop Perfect Portrait. Did I do too much on number two? I kinda like it but it may be too much. What do you think?

Thanks, Susan

Nice Photo, the only thing you need to do to it is brighten and sharpen the eyes IMHO. The second PP is too much.

here an example of just the eyes worked on, I think I overdid the eyes a bit but you get the idea
4640342004_3ef0348efd_o.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks, Susan

I think it's best to learn how to edit photographs rather than relying on actions. You can record your own actions, actions that no one else would have.

To illustrate a "kiss of light" in the background and some quick local edits:
There is no right or wrong in image editing, but for each individuals tastes there is better and worse.
878858469_sjDSG-L.jpg

Susan,
I would stick with our original version. If you want to do anything to it I would suggest just bumping up the contrast a bit so its not so flat. Other than that its a great shot.

- Matt

Processing is always a bit subjective.....

This is a Good photograph, although, as said, the lighting is a bit flat - but that can be a good thing when shooting portraits...

Process it the way that you like it and want others to see it ........ Different doesn't mean better .........:D

The Coffee Shop Perfect Portrait isn't an action where it automatically does mysterious stuff to your picture leaving you with an end result. It is a set of layers you adjust and put masks on. I am figuring out how to manipulate the layers. I need to tone down the color layers, mask more areas, or turn them off. I kind of like the saturated colors - just not so much on his skin.

I don't have any experience doing portraits. I normally shoot stuff as it is happening or do landscapes, etc.

Would this be a good pose/backdrop to use again? Should I put a small desk lamp in the stall behind him?

Thanks, Susan

I don't have any experience doing portraits. I normally shoot stuff as it is happening or do landscapes, etc.

Would this be a good pose/backdrop to use again? Should I put a small desk lamp in the stall behind him?

Thanks, Susan
You seem to be off on the good foot with portraits then. The pose is okay, but as I mentioned the rolled shoulders should be avoided, especially if you're trying to depict masculinity. In fact, the rolled shoulders should be avoided, period.

You are not quite in the Full Face position where both ears are equal

The background is superb for the cowboy motiff. Actually, it is quite suitable for many types of portrait shots. If you light it, find a daylight bulb (5500K) to balance with any flash you may use. It's hard to tell if you did use flash because there is a catchlight in his left eye only. You may also want to diffuse it in some manner to avoid harsh shadows and only slightly illuminate the background.

I used natural light - no flash. The sun was behind me and he was actually in the building about 6 inches back from the window. I was shooting in aperture priority mode with the kit lens as wide as it would go. I tried to get my camera meter to read off his face (up close) and then back away partially holding down the shutter release. I have lots of pictures of the ground, building, etc from where I accidentally tripped the shutter. I need a light meter. I had been trying to use a homemade reflector (metallic gold spray painted foam core). I was unable to position/hold it and shoot at the same time. I need to get a stand. Need to do lots of work still but I am glad I am on the right track.

Thanks, Susan

I need to get a stand.
:lmao:

When you get one, you'll realize the you actually need three..... plus other stuff. I just spent over $1K this month on ancillaries for lighting. It wasn't enough and never will be. This is an expensive addiction.... I mean hobby. Little by little.............

Most reactions

New Topics

Back