portrait questions

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
:heart: Hi, was hoping you guys could give this "noob" some advice.... when you do a portrait shoot, how many photos do you take, then out of these, how many would you expect to be VERY HAPPY with and how many would you show the client..... Am a very keen ameteur and took about 60 of my 2yr old, liked about 60% and Loved maybe 10% then the other 30ish% were blinks, blurs etc........ I've had a few friends and friends of friends ask if I will shoot portraits for them for cash, but don't know how BRILLIANT I should be before I say YES> maybe i should just give it a crack??? If you have a sec would love your feedback & maybe you could have a sticky at the 5 i have posted already. Thanks, xxx

Keep in mind, I shoot more pics per session than most..........
2 hour portrait session = 300-500 shots.
I pair down to between 30-50 that I process to show the client.
This way I can afford to be very harsh with my culls.

jemmy said:
...when you do a portrait shoot, how many photos do you take...

This depends on the subject AND the session they choose. For a typical individual portrait, I make about 30 exposures.

jemmy said:
...then out of these, how many would you expect to be VERY HAPPY with and how many would you show the client...

I end up showing about 20-24. I expect to be "VERY HAPPY" with none. Ocassionally, I do find one I'm really pleased with.

jemmy said:
...30ish% were blinks, blurs etc.

Maybe one, sometimes two. Some folks just blink a bunch more than others.

Now when shooting children, all this goes out the window. When working with wee ones, they're pretty much in charge. When they're done, they're done. No exceptions. Of course, I get a lot more out-takes on toddlers. The last session I did, I made about 70 exposures and showed half of them. When I shot film, I'd do less than half of this... three 10 exposure rolls at most.

Thanks for your reply Elsapet.......... I think I'm a bit like you ( just not QUITE so talented.... It is not unusual for me to take 97 photos in a half hour hospital visit to meet new babies!! Just one question though.......if you show clients approx 10%, do they ever ask where the other pics are or are they so blown away with the ones you show that they forget?!! xxxxThanks again

elsaspet said:
Keep in mind, I shoot more pics per session than most..........
2 hour portrait session = 300-500 shots.
I pair down to between 30-50 that I process to show the client.
This way I can afford to be very harsh with my culls.

Thanks for your reply, very helpful! xxx
Christie Photo said:
This depends on the subject AND the session they choose. For a typical individual portrait, I make about 30 exposures.

I end up showing about 20-24. I expect to be "VERY HAPPY" with none. Ocassionally, I do find one I'm really pleased with.

Maybe one, sometimes two. Some folks just blink a bunch more than others.

Now when shooting children, all this goes out the window. When working with wee ones, they're pretty much in charge. When they're done, they're done. No exceptions. Of course, I get a lot more out-takes on toddlers. The last session I did, I made about 70 exposures and showed half of them. When I shot film, I'd do less than half of this... three 10 exposure rolls at most.

i'm just learning too, but i take a bunch of shots... i took 450 candids in 3 hours on saturday, got about 50 i was okay with and only a few that made might heart race a little. I am pretty critical and always see room for improvement, but i felt pretty good about those numbers considering the harsh light i was dealing with.

i don't think you have to worry about folks wanting to see your "throw-aways". In 8 years of amateur shooting, i have never had anyone ask to see my junk shots... :thumbup:

thanks!! Had a shot at my first wedding on saturday and took 350 which Ive cut down to 180 and really love about 8!! Anyway, was quietly happy for my first crack!! Still have lots to learn about indoor photog as the reception werent that flash, am definitely an outdoor pic person,but hopefully will learn to perfect my skills indoor too! xxthanks again:lol:

JTHphoto said:
i'm just learning too, but i take a bunch of shots... i took 450 candids in 3 hours on saturday, got about 50 i was okay with and only a few that made might heart race a little. I am pretty critical and always see room for improvement, but i felt pretty good about those numbers considering the harsh light i was dealing with.

i don't think you have to worry about folks wanting to see your "throw-aways". In 8 years of amateur shooting, i have never had anyone ask to see my junk shots... :thumbup:

i usually shoot between 100 and 250 (max) images at a shoot. Quite a few of those are duplictes, just to capture subtle changes in expression and to make sure i have the focus right. I usually only show the client about 25-50 shots. They usually narrow that down to anywhere from 3-20 poses.

i've had some pretty bad blinking situations before also where the subject would blink nearly ever shot :). it just happens sometimes i guess.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back