Portrait Session with a photographer

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was contacted by my local favorite photographer, Andrea Blair, about doing a photo swap. I was terrified to have my picture taken, and even more terrified to take hers.

She shot me first, and it went much better than I anticipated. But when it was my turn, I was just completely stuck. I had no ideas, no creativity, no nothing. We were in full sun, no shade anywhere. It was quite a let down for me to work with one of the main people who inspired me to pursue photography, and to feel like I couldn't hack it.

Ended up with a few keepers - and we will be shooting again together next month.

C&C is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristal

26115_372100251182_551601182_5443055_4144840_n.jpg

26115_373732281182_551601182_5451854_2609425_n.jpg

26115_373732296182_551601182_5451855_673976_n.jpg

26115_375813416182_551601182_5461469_1202239_n.jpg

I think these are all quite nice. The first has a nice warmth and directness.The 2nd is my favorite-like the profile, the snappy contrast of colors against the white sky. Not sure if i would have cropped the baloons tho. The 3rd would have worked better with a stronger pose, plus her arm is a bit hot. The eyes really grab me in the last one. The blurry necklace might be a distraction, but i still like it.
I think you salvaged the day with these.

I think the forth one is the most successful and rather engaging. She should be happy she got that image. The others are less successful in my opinion; the balloons I'm not sure how they would fit a artist portrait. If you are going for color in the shot, you could try raining colored flower petals on her or something with the sun in the shot, back lighting her or something.

I would just prepare more next time. Have a good number of ideas ready to go and have a few safeties in your back pocket, in case you get stuck, in order to keep the flow of the shoot moving--and just by having her do some time tested, mundane poses, you might see something she brings to them to inspire you in another direction. I think we've all been in spots where things aren't looking like we've visualized them and we start to think 'what the f*$k am I doing?' 'what am I suppose to do with this person'...sweating ensues.

Thanks for the comments. She brought the ballons.

She has beautiful eyes, and I think that 1 and 4 make those eyes stand out nicely. I just wish she didn't have that orange necklace on in #4 it's just a slight bit distracting ... I don't mind it so much in #1 because it's not as glaring as it is in #4 ...

Nice images though ...

I think the toughest shoots are when there is only one subject and one photographer. To me nothing beats it. In terms of getting the casual(the best) shots, I swear I rather do 2 or more since it's so easy for them to warm up to each other which gives you a peek at their natural state.. Then I start snapping @ 100fps! lol.

Just like kkamin said we all have all opened the flood gates to blankery at one point or another. When that happens I just shoot the shoot with the clients and walk around. Talk to them get a feel for them and hopefully it sparks some light bulbs. In the process of walking and talking it also gives you an oppurtunity to look around and scout the different locations within. If that doesn't work I just go back to the old bag of tricks and perform shots from previous shoots and redo what works...which also leads to great ideas sometimes.

Try this next time rub when you run out of ideas....have her walk and just shoot her as fast as you can from all the angles(and I mean all the angles, from the ground with your back on the floor, upside down, have her walk over you, have her look up at you, from behind, from the side, from the shoulder, walk next to her and put your camera over her and snap away,...). This may sound ridiculous but sooner or later if you do it enough you will know what works for you and you can add this to your bag of tricks...

Thanks Cameron for the advice.

I felt like all my old standby's I couldnt do, as she had just finished shoting me and so many of those poses were used! Hope the next time out I won't be so intimidated. She loves the images, so that makes me feel better, but the outcome is still not what I had really wanted. I guess thats why we keep on shooting, right?

I hear ya kristal. I certainly hope not to stay complacent and content with my photography....when that day comes hopefully I won't be too old to surf for a living..lol

I really like these. 1 and 3 are my favorites. The balloons in #2 are really clear and colorful but her pose is a bit stiff.

I have to, 1 and 3 are my favorites. Shooting other photographers is never easy, we are critical and can't pose

Most reactions

Back