portrait shots c&c please

snaggle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
s656.photobucket.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here is two I did with my Wife and Daughter at the Edmonton Space and Science center.

0065.jpg

f4.5
1/200 sec
ISO 100
37mm focal length
Shutter Priority
WB shade mode on XSi

0066.jpg

f7.1
1/100 sec
55mm focal length
Shutter Priority
WB custom shift to b4 on XSi

crop in closer.. too much open space around the subject's.

Just an opinion......

#1 - had you taken two to three steps to your right, moved your family forward about 6-10 feet and dropped your PoV about a foot, I think your would have had a better composition. The reason i say that is because of the open limbs on the right causing too much distraction from the viewer's (me) eye.. You've got way too much negative space and they are pretty much dead center in the frame... Next, the focus is not on your subjects as they seem quite blurry. WB seems quite warm.

#2 - Distracting background, centered composition and the grass line is acting as a guillotine for the missis's head. Again, the focus.

Hope you had a good day out with the family.

the space u covered is more and it happens in the beginning..we see the wide area rather than our subject. my learned friends pointed out the rest.

Thanks, this is my first try and any kind of portraits, I like the custom WB better then the built in one.

Well #1 is warm and #2 is a bit cold, maybe shouldn't be messing with the whitebalance that much yet.

As others have said, both need to get rid of that empty space, and composition could have been improved by you getting a lower point of view possibly. Get unique with your point of view's, get closer to your subjects, experiment.

Most reactions

Back