Portrait

anthrope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is a friend of mine that I was studying with in Budapest, Hungary. I don't usually take many shots of people, let alone portraits, so I didn't really know what I was doing. That said I think it turned ok, but wanted see what you all thought about my composition, etc. Are the bright highlights on the left side distracting? It was a little sunny...

Any advice/ comments are always appreciated.

Title: Dylan
Camera: Canon A80
Shutter Speed: 1/125
F/Stop: 4.9

OTE, of course

dylan.jpg

There are lots of real experts on portrait photography round here who might give you an expert answer, which I can't since photography is my hobby - no more and no less.
But I happen to be the first to see this.

First impression: nice one!
Second impression: I'm not too fond of that cigarette, but that is personal. If it goes with his personality and represents part of who he is and what he values, then it has got its place in the photo.
Third impression: I am definitely not fond of the hand in the photo coming seemingly unconnected to any arm out of the side of the photo.

The natural light, his backlit hair, the fact that his eyes still "shine" somehow, even though the light is from behind and the natural skin tones are very nice - it would have been nicer (personal) if he hadn't squinted from the smoke.

Just a couple of lay-woman's thoughts on this...

i like this. the only thing that really bothers me is the red cast. i know it was late (or early) in the day, so it was like that to begin with, but it's just too red for me. especially since he is wearing a red shirt, and smoking a cigarette, it just seems too 'hot' (as in temperature hot). take off a slight amount of that red would help, i think (or you could try black and white, but it might take away from the feel of the image). also, it's kind of soft. maybe because of downsizing...all in all though, i like it.

Most reactions

Back