Portraits are not my thing and I need some tips please :)

stone_family3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My daughter really hates being photographed so it's hard to get her to sit still but these are some of the best ones I have. Any advice for making them look good next time I try this.

tuckeredoutsophie.jpg

vacation2009021.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg

Based on your subject line, step one is this:
Portrait Lighting - from here you'll learn basic classical lighting technique. Once you master it, improvising/modifying will come into play and you'll ROCK.

Images you posted aren't really portraits, more like snapshots. Lighting, is a big factor in photography, it'll be one of the deciding factors b/n snapshots and portraits.
For now, learn composition and learn lighting (from site above).

Cute kid :)

thanks. I'll be taking a portrait class next quarter so that'll help out a lot.

I try really hard but my subject never cooperates, but she's three...LOL.

one of the things for protraits is that you are just wanting the person you are taking the photos of - so basically you want to step back, zoom in and open up

That is use a zoom - step back but zoom in (this helps with DOF issues)
Open up - open the aperture right up - this causes the background to be out of focus and therefore draws your attention to the in focus person.

If you would like to see some samples let me know - i can show you some

one of the things for protraits is that you are just wanting the person you are taking the photos of - so basically you want to step back, zoom in and open up

That is use a zoom - step back but zoom in (this helps with DOF issues)
Open up - open the aperture right up - this causes the background to be out of focus and therefore draws your attention to the in focus person.

If you would like to see some samples let me know - i can show you some

That would be awesome. Unfortunately I only have a POS point and shot digital. Hoping to upgrade this year. Thanks for the advice.

My 10 year old manages to blink in just about every picture, if he doesn't blink.. well then he isn't smiling. My 3 year old always gets his face right in front of the camera, then wants-- let me see me Mama--:lol:

Most reactions

Back