Portraits at the Faire

vtf

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I went to the Renaissance Faire this weekend with the family and attempted to do potrait shots with my 50mm 1/8 (luv my lil lens). I left it on AV I believe through most of these shots. Some backgrounds might be alittle busy because after all tis a fair. My goal right now is get clear focused shots that are properly exposed. I'd like to know what you think. Thanks.
rengentleman2.jpg

renmadison4.jpg

renmadison1.jpg

4. This one seems soft.
rengentleman1.jpg

T
accostedbystreetentertainer.jpg

Thanks

I love this set!!

My only comments are, The guy's face in #1 is a bit dark, and #5 is oof, or so it seems to me.

I love this set!!

My only comments are, The guy's face in #1 is a bit dark, and #5 is oof, or so it seems to me.
I lightened #1 a tad. This area faire had a lot of shade.
rengentleman2-1.jpg

In #5 I was shooting at f1.8 so the dof was really narrow and may have missed the focus on the center entertainer.

I agree that #1 was dark and the edit helped that :)

I like shallow DoF myself but I think perhaps that is a bit to shallow, maybe this setting called for something in the f/4-f/6 range?

Big guy in the purple cracks me up! Especially with his matching umbrella in a holster on his side haha

These are so fun!

This was the first chance I got to get out with a multitude of people and at Ren faires the street entertainers are always willing to pose.
renmadison5.jpg

fairy2.jpg

On my computer at print size these are sharper than they appear here.

The background competes too much with the tree fairy in that last one. Try this quick and easy trick: Use curves, or the center slider in levels to make the whole image too dark. Then use the history brush to restore the fairy to how it is now.

The background competes too much with the tree fairy in that last one. Try this quick and easy trick: Use curves, or the center slider in levels to make the whole image too dark. Then use the history brush to restore the fairy to how it is now.
I use PSE 8, not sure what you are referring to as far as history brush.

Seems that you missed the focus on most of the images (or maybe i need more coffee). Not one of them comes off to me as a keeper, but definately a great opportunity to grow and learn

1- the image is under exposed, even after adjustements. The focus point does not seem to be on his eyes, but somewhere on his stomach. Are you shooting wide open (ie f/1.8)?

2- this image is better exposed, but I think your shutter was too slow as the entire image is blurry. Less blur in the face than in the hand, but still blur from movement.

3- same issue with blur. Looks like the focus point might of been that silver corner on her dress and not her eyes. What shutter / ISO were you at?

The last fairy one seems to have the focus point on her knee, not her eyes.

Pretty much all the others suffer from motion blur and missed focus, but more the motion blur. None of them have sharp eyes.

How are you shooting? Automatic? AV? TV? M?
What focus method are you using? Automatic? Center recompose? Chose your own point?

I do like the compositions you are pulling off. The fairy is cute and the head shot of the girl in green is nice as well. Doing good there. You need to focus on...focusing :)

Bigtwinky
I shot these in aperature mode and all shots are 1/60th or above. iso was set at 200. I did shoot at 1/8 with my 50mm so I know the dof is narrow. They do appear much more blurred here than the print size ones on my computer.
My goal is on getting a clear focus on my portrait subjects so I'll continue to work on that.. But definately thanks for your comments.

Even at 1/60, if people are moving, they will get blurred. But 1/60 should be enough to nail the exposure and focus on the second image, the head shot of the woman in green, or the one of the two girls looking back at you.

So your settings seem to be ok for stationairy people. How are you focusing on them?

Might want to look at your shooting stance and technique or how you are bracing yourself to ensure you are not moving at all when taking the shot. Sounds stupid, but someone pointed this out to me once and it made a difference.

And remember, a lens is never at its sharpest wide open. Even when shooting a $1500 zoom, it will be sharper when stopped down a few times. There are lists on the internet that show each lens' sweet spot.

That 50mm will be killer when shot at f/4 - f/5.6. You might want to try making the aperture smaller to ensure more is in focus to perfect your focusing technique before getting into the shooting at a very wide aperture.

Do you do manual focus or auto focus?

If auto do you use the back button focus?

If so are you adjusting your focus point to the point closest to your subject?

I had a thread addressing these issues a while back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back