Portraits - help!!!

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So yep I need some help as I'm not used to working with people and portraits and such.

This photo was taken with a 70-200mm, two flashes off-camera with softboes and stands - both set either side at roughly 45degrees or so-ish. Though I had intended to use mostly flash light, the weather turning wet made me rush so I suspect they were mostly providing fill flash.

I need some critique, feedback and guidanceeance both on the camera end and the subject end with basic posing.

Attachments

• IMG_2393b.jpg
    IMG_2393b.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 114
Can I ask a stupid question are you using/do you need
Release forms

Not a bad question/point - I'm safe since these are of my sister so no forms required.

I need some critique, feedback and guidanceeance both on the camera end and the subject end with basic posing.

Okay, let's start with pose. I'm old school in that broad shoulders work well for the manly man but not so much for the feminine form. Turning her body one way or the other even slightly will minimize that. With the head and body turned toward the key light lowering the rear shoulder will cause the head to tilt slightly. Classic basic pose for men or heavier body women. For thinner women you can tilt the head slightly toward the high shoulder. If you're determined to do a full on, bringing the hands up to the face will break up the body and create leading lines into the face. There are a ton of references on the internet as examples, or look at the old masters for some guidance.

Lighting, what did you want to achieve???????? That's the question to answer before you place your lights, or put on modifiers. As you presented the shot, you have a relatively flat image with little to no shadow. Shadow is what defines a 3D dimensional object in a one dimensional image. A lighting ratios of 1:1 means the key (main) light and fill are of equal power on the subject, (pretty much what you had here). A link to show you the differences Lighting Ratios to Make or Break your Portrait Once you have your finished vision, it's a process of adding (or even subtracting) light to achieve that vision. Lighting setups are not one size fits all.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back