portraits of a close friend

leejt1986

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took photos of a friend of mine that I've known for a very long time, going on 10 years. Here's some of the ones that I thought were the best. Comments and critiques please

34854532947733408209700.jpg

35265532947099678209700.jpg

34879532947304268209700.jpg

34854532947738398209700.jpg

I dig the background in #1. It makes it my fav.:thumbup:
I'm also glad you kept the colors in 1, 2, and 3, and the select focusing in all of them.

Only, he might appreciate it if you crop out the acne somewhat. And, I'm not getting where he's looking in the last two.

The white balance really looks off in the first 3. I have done a quick edit to number one, but since it says your photos are not ok to edit I will not post the picture.

Last edited:
The white balance really looks off in the first 3. I have done a quick edit to number one, but since it says your photos are not ok to edit I will not post the picture.

The white balance shouldn't be off..I used auto white balance since there were so many light sources from the street. It mightve been one of the light sources that's bothering you. I tried editing it myself and it didnt look much different.

@Early the 3rd was a candid, and 4th I guess couldve been better if i used a different lens.

Auto isn't always correct. If you would like I will post my edit.

Yea I agree, compared to the fourth one the white balance it a good bit off. Maybe try using a custom WB next time your in that type of setting.

Also the first three look blurry to me, or not very sharp. The background in 1, and 2 are quite busy and distracting. The reflection on his nose in #2 is also distracting. I would try converting the first 3 to black, and white then see if they are any better. #4 is the best, but It looks soft to me.

Just my opinion:thumbup:

Yea I agree, compared to the fourth one the white balance it a good bit off. Maybe try using a custom WB next time your in that type of setting.

Also the first three look blurry to me, or not very sharp. The background in 1, and 2 are quite busy and distracting. The reflection on his nose in #2 is also distracting. I would try converting the first 3 to black, and white then see if they are any better. #4 is the best, but It looks soft to me.

I just thought he had two different colored shirts that had the same logo. :confused:

Thanks for posting. I like the locations you used in the first two, but I'd have to agree with the white balance not looking right and I think the focus is a little soft on all of them.

I just thought he had two different colored shirts that had the same logo. :confused:

Yeesh, I just noticed the color difference. The last picture is actually closer to the shade of blue that the shirt was. I feel stupid, its hard to notice comparing the first two, but if you compare the first two to the last one you notice it right away. No more auto white balance for me lol.

But a note on this, it was the first time I had shot anything at night.

And at brian1616 youre right about the lens I used. I think that may have to do with the soft focus. Its a tricky lens to use right with out getting some really weird focus issues

Edit: and all the reflections were due to that I just used natural lighting. I'm not familiar with using a flash but now that I look I think I should have

i like 1 and 2 but subject seems OOF.
did you have it cranked to 1.8?

1 and 2 are my favs. i love the colors and that he is looking at the camera. i enjoy the busy background on em. the 4th one bores me. looks to light to me.

Most reactions

Back