Portraits of my buddy *1st time using umbrella*

nmaynard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well... I ordered a light setup this past week and some of it got here friday. My umbrella and light stand did. I bought a Photogenic 60" Halo White/Black cover umbrella and a 10ft Smith Vector stand. I have to wait til monday for my alienbee 1600 and vagabond II to arrive.

Sooo, I couldn't wait til monday to shoot something so I figured I would see how well my little 430exII would do at night. And it surprised me! I never used more than 1/4 power. Although I was shooting at 2.8 and 3.5 most the time. Which now that I reflect upon my experience hurt me in a few places.

Also, I think my camera is going bad or something. I have noticed lately the focus is off. A lot of shots are turning out way to soft. And it can not focus for crap in low light. Can't wait til I can get the 5dmkII and put my XTi out to pasture!

IMG_7660.jpg

IMG_7547.jpg

IMG_7606.jpg
IMG_7616.jpg

IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7654.jpg

Nice shots considering only one umbrella, and I'm not seeing the softness you're talking about.

But here's the thing. I think (pretty damned sure) there's a rule that the main light is to be one the short side of the face, and the fill light on the long side.

Nice shots considering only one umbrella, and I'm not seeing the softness you're talking about.

But here's the thing. I think (pretty damned sure) there's a rule that the main light is to be one the short side of the face, and the fill light on the long side.

I didn't use any of the soft ones. But there were a few good shots that I liked but didn't use cause they were soft.

DOH! on the light thing. I was just having toooo much fun that I didn't even think about that. One thing I did remember was to make sure his eyes were lit well. I'm just trying to shoot as much as I can right now and learn from my mistakes. Do believe I'll remember next time! Thanks.

Lighting is decent for your first time. Shots are boring though.

Hi - can you please explain what you mean by the long side and short side of a face?

Hi - can you please explain what you mean by the long side and short side of a face?
The long side is the side facing the camera. There's probably another name for the long and short sides, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what they were.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back