portraits

thestereoguy4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi , everyone I am new to this forum. I have a Nikon D7000 and have recently purchased a 35mm fixed lens for my camera specifically for shooting portraits I am thinking about using a external flash and setting the camera to (scene) portrait mode , is that a good idea , one other question will the camera if set in auto iso mode will it always select the lowest iso speed for a given situation , I don't know anything about iso speeds on dslr's exept for the basics. Thanks

Auto ISO, in Manual mode, works pretty well on a modern Nikon d-slr. YOU, the user, have to set the lowest shutter speed permissible, and can ALSO set a beginning or baseline ISO level, like say 160, or 250, or 320,or 400; YOU have to set up the camera.

I have never, not even once, used a speedlight flash and AUTO ISO...it's never been necessary. I am not conversant enough in flash+ AUO ISO to advise you based on actual experience. I think FLASH + AUO ISO is a stupid concept, however.

A shoe-mounted speedlight flash, bounced off of a wall and ceiling juncture, can give lovely light. Same with a speedlight bounced off of a refrigerator or wall, a few feet in front of the subject. This is called "bounce flash", or "bounced flash", and is done with the flash tilted and swiveled, with the flash on top of the camera.

I have not used flash + Portrait mode. It's worth trying I suppose, but I'm not sure, despite 30-plus years in the Nikon system. Let me put it this way: there are multiple ways to make photos, depending on the equipment you have,and the experience you have. One can go ALL-auto, and let the camera decide things, like flash output level,m exposure, etc, and then use the Exposure Compensation system buttons (plural) to make adjustments. In the other end, one can go ALL-manual, and make all the decisions. Or, one can shoot in-between the two extremes, in a Scene mode or an Auto mode, and make overrides as-needed.

One issue: in daylight times, flash is one part of the total exposure, and the shutter speed and lens f/stop makes another part of the total exposure. So...there are limitations, depending on the camera model and the flash, of how FAST the shutter speed can be, when the camera is used with most flash units. "SOME" flash units can do FP Sync (Canon calls this High Speed Sync) and can shoot at fast shutter speeds on cameras that offer FP Sync capable shutters (the D7000 can do FP Sync flash at fast shutter speeds with an FP-sync- capable flash).

When shooting flash in daylight times, it is EASIEST to set a lowish ISO value, like 100 or so, and pick a moderate f/stop like f/5.6, and with most flash units, this will be okay.

You are asking questions which have long, complex answers.

Try portrait mode. Try it with flash. Set ONE ISO level, and you'll be able to use the Flash Exposure Compensation button, and the camera's Exposure Compensation button, as-needed.

Look at the rear LCD and gauge the results.

Auto ISO, in Manual mode, works pretty well on a modern Nikon d-slr. YOU, the user, have to set the lowest shutter speed permissible, and can ALSO set a beginning or baseline ISO level, like say 160, or 250, or 320,or 400; YOU have to set up the camera.

I have never, not even once, used a speedlight flash and AUTO ISO...it's never been necessary. I am not conversant enough in flash+ AUO ISO to advise you based on actual experience. I think FLASH + AUO ISO is a stupid concept, however.

A shoe-mounted speedlight flash, bounced off of a wall and ceiling juncture, can give lovely light. Same with a speedlight bounced off of a refrigerator or wall, a few feet in front of the subject. This is called "bounce flash", or "bounced flash", and is done with the flash tilted and swiveled, with the flash on top of the camera.

I have not used flash + Portrait mode. It's worth trying I suppose, but I'm not sure, despite 30-plus years in the Nikon system. Let me put it this way: there are multiple ways to make photos, depending on the equipment you have,and the experience you have. One can go ALL-auto, and let the camera decide things, like flash output level,m exposure, etc, and then use the Exposure Compensation system buttons (plural) to make adjustments. In the other end, one can go ALL-manual, and make all the decisions. Or, one can shoot in-between the two extremes, in a Scene mode or an Auto mode, and make overrides as-needed.

One issue: in daylight times, flash is one part of the total exposure, and the shutter speed and lens f/stop makes another part of the total exposure. So...there are limitations, depending on the camera model and the flash, of how FAST the shutter speed can be, when the camera is used with most flash units. "SOME" flash units can do FP Sync (Canon calls this High Speed Sync) and can shoot at fast shutter speeds on cameras that offer FP Sync capable shutters (the D7000 can do FP Sync flash at fast shutter speeds with an FP-sync- capable flash).

When shooting flash in daylight times, it is EASIEST to set a lowish ISO value, like 100 or so, and pick a moderate f/stop like f/5.6, and with most flash units, this will be okay.

You are asking questions which have long, complex answers.

Try portrait mode. Try it with flash. Set ONE ISO level, and you'll be able to use the Flash Exposure Compensation button, and the camera's Exposure Compensation button, as-needed.

Look at the rear LCD and gauge the results.
I will set the iso at 100 and take some shots,thank you for all the useful info.

Most reactions

Back