Portraiture C&C (Woodie's session)

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Although I have many years of photographic experience, I have not studied light and portraiture. So I've been practicing and need some feedback from the experienced portraiture photographers - am I getting the basic concepts, and if not, what specific comments can you make to help me improve?

First, let me introduce my subject. His name is Ivan the Balalaika player, but we call him "Woodie".
Ivan_aka_Woodie_7533_v2.jpg

Woodie's advantage (for me) is that he is very patient. Never needs to do something more important, never wants a bathroom break, never needs to go smoke... He likes his life simple. I like that in a test subject. Which is why you're not seeing photos of my pets, my wife, my kids or my friends. They have more important things to do. Natch.

In the attached photos, you'll see a salt shaker in the photos mainly so that I could see the reflection of the lights and see where they were coming from. Woodie's eyes, alas, do not do a good job of reflecting the light sources.

So we start with Broad Lighting (with fill). Main light was on Woodie's right, about 30 degrees from the horizontal plane, and about 70 degrees to the right of Woodie's central plane. Fill light was used to Woodie's left, at about 45 degrees from the horizontal and about 45 degrees to the left of Woodie's central plane.
BroadLight_7482_v2.jpg

Next, Short Lighting (with fill). Light is positioned to Woodie's left, about 45 degrees vertically (1:30 position), and about 30 degrees to his left from his centerline. Fill light of 1 stop less positioned to his right, about level with the horizon.
Short_7506_v2.jpg

A variation on Short Lighting is Rembrand Lighting where the object is to create a triagular pattern of light on the cheek away from the main light. This is similar to short lighting, but with the main light positioned further to the left of the subject. Here, the main light is at about 35 degrees vertically, and about 75 degrees to the left of Wood's center plane. A fill reflector is on Woodie's right.
Rembrandt_7503_v2.jpg

Next is the Butterfly lighting or Paramount lighting, in which one main light was used, positioned about 75 degrees from the horizontal and at the middle of Woodie's central plane.
Butterfly_7509_v2.jpg

Finally, we do the Split Lighting, were the main light was positioned to Woodie's left (90 degrees from his center plane), and about level with the horizon. Fill light was on Woodie's right, also lefel with the horizon and about two stops less light than main light.
Split_7512_v2.jpg

Soooo.... Did I get it right? If yes, will now how to cajole/bribe/sweet-talk one of the family members to pose. If not, will continue to practice (Woodie's patient - did I tell you that?).

Last edited:
Bump. C'mon people - need some comments. Or is it so mind-numbing dull??? :er:

I think this is a very good test subject, and some very good self-teaching going on! Commendable stuff! Surely there must be *somebody* in the family who's not a total chicken$H!+, and can withstand the assault of a few flash bursts and the bombardment of a few shutter snaps....right???
Surely the courageous Woody will inspire one of the kids, or the missus to take to the posing stool...right??? Perhaps the allure of a crisp $20 bill will do the trick???

The problem is, Derrel, that I'm married to a beautiful woman who thinks she not so beautiful, and three drop-dead gorgeous daughters who think they are merely "OK'. All are too busy to sit. Got two cats around here as well, but, they are cats. Got two beautiful sister in laws, as well, but... also busy women with both little and big kids in tow. Maybe the suitable bait will be a home-cooked two-course meal, a glass of wine, and some heart-shaped cholocates... But you're right. I gotta man up and get them to help me master unlocking the beauty within...:sexywink:

This is a good excercise and thanks for posting. I've been been looking (loosely) for a mannequin to do the same thing. Just as you, my people won't sit still long enough to run the gamut of lighting positions.

If I may make one suggestion. If you are using a fill flash, try positioning it either directly behind and above the camera or to the left/right within 18" of the camera and on the same side as the main. The reason being is that the Fill is to do just that, fill in the shadows, intrinsically creating a gradual transition from lit side to shadowed. By its very nature, the Fill light should be also be rather flat, without creating it's own shadow. Additionally, by having the fill vitually on the opposite side, the Main and Fill are competing against each other rather than complementing.

Thanks, Kundalini! I have admired your masterful use of light, and was inspired by your use of "Winston" to model the various lighting scenarios. I'll give your suggestion a try to see if I understand the idea. I haven't thought of the fill and main light competing, but now that you point it out, of course! It'll have to wait for the weekend, however. Woodie will be waiting. Heh, who knows... if I get lucky one of my too-busy models may decide that they can spend a few minutes getting flashed...:hug::

Last edited:
LOVE IT! This is what I need to make time for!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back