Pose ideas for an over weight bride and groom

asheeants

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok guys.. So I'm taking photos for my cousin this weekend for his wedding. He and his fiance are a rather large couple. My cousin is 6ft 7 and weighs around 400 lbs and his fiance is not much over 5ft and I'd say 250 lbs give or take. The bride has requested I "Show her figure in a way that looks flattering and avoid poses that accentuate their size." I am narrowing down poses, and got to thinking I may not be on the right track here. This is my first Wedding, I am still very much an armature, but want to do the best I can for my cousin and his soon to be bride. Anyone have any tips on posing large couples?

Last edited:
There's a great video about how to suggest clients pose to minimize double chins and chubby faces in general - great advice for anyone, really:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was in your position, I would try to avoid assumptions about my subjects' size and what is and isn't flattering, unless of course they ask you to make them appear a certain way. Otherwise, I wonder if there are any technical pointers, such as special lighting considerations, for shooting couples whose faces may not be as close as usual.

I'm pretty sure they are well aware of their size etc. so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to perceive them a certain way in the pictures. I'm sure they will be remembering the pictures because of the occasion and them getting married.

There's a great video about how to suggest clients pose to minimize double chins and chubby faces in general - great advice for anyone, really:

Thanks this is very helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
The bride has asked me to "Show her figure in way that will makes her look flattering, and to avoid poses that accentuate their size." Sorry I failed to mention that. This is no assumption or judgement on my part, just trying to find ideas that will give her the result she's hoping for.

There's a great video about how to suggest clients pose to minimize double chins and chubby faces in general - great advice for anyone, really: [...]
That link is truely amazing. The guy keeps talking for a quarter hour straight about ONE SINGLE THING one can explain with ONE sentence:

If you have problems with doublechin etc, or just in general to get a more defined chin, bring your head a bit forward and down towards the camera to get rid of it.

And yet the guy keeps talking about it for a full quarter hour. :confused:

Guys, it's fine that you all are being considerate to the big people, but let's be realistic. It wouldn't make a good pose for a 400lb groom to have a 250lb bride hoisted in his arms as he is going to carry her. There are just some poses that wont be possible with this couple, so their size has to be drastically taken into consideration when brainstorming poses.

LOL, I should have mentioned it's a bit longer than necessary...you can definitely "skim" through this video and pick up the helpful tips!

There's a great video about how to suggest clients pose to minimize double chins and chubby faces in general - great advice for anyone, really: [...]
That link is truely amazing. The guy keeps talking for a quarter hour straight about ONE SINGLE THING one can explain with ONE sentence:

If you have problems with doublechin etc, or just in general to get a more defined chin, bring your head a bit forward and down towards the camera to get rid of it.

And yet the guy keeps talking about it for a full quarter hour. :confused:

Geez.. What a task. How about just head and shoulder shots?[/QUOTE]

I know, it's a lot of pressure. Yeah head shots was all I could think of. haha

Dont shoot with wide focal length get further back and use a longer focal length, one thing you can do with portraits is hide part of the body say behind a tree with a hand by the side of the cheek hiding any folds around the neck, look for pilars or anything you can incorporate in the shot, sorry for the joke before i have a sick sense of humour

Yep! Use a long focal length, a high camera perspective, and when possible put something between the subject and the camera.

Dont shoot with wide focal length get further back and use a longer focal length, one thing you can do with portraits is hide part of the body say behind a tree with a hand by the side of the cheek hiding any folds around the neck, look for pilars or anything you can incorporate in the shot, sorry for the joke before i have a sick sense of humour

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. & it's alright. hah

Most reactions

Back