Posing Models

So much about how to capture the subject, and not much about capturing the person. These are your friends, so I take it you know something about them. The good ol' background is just there to frame the subject and isn't really important scheme can be fine, but I'd say that you should at least go for a few shots that really convey a message about the person you're shooting. Tell something about them and not just how proficient you are at posing and photography. A great portrait conveys meaning and exemplifies the qualities of the person being photographed. For example, a friend of mine would like to have some portraits taken of her before she leaves for Australia. She's a very intelligent, literary person (that is, she's an english major), so I'm looking for some backgrounds that will convey that aspect of her. Old libraries and books for one.

That's certainly the goal, but like any other discipline, the shortest route to art is through craft. Every jazz musician must know 100 standard songs and the basic riffs before veering off into new directions. I want to take meaningful and interesting pictures of the people I like... but found I had no idea how to suggest a pose to them. Nor did they. It was suddenly a completely foreign language. We tried some things and got a decent shot or two, but it could have been so much easier, and an opportunity was squandered.

See two sessions here and here.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you want to be a model or become a model, you will need to learn to pose like a professional model. If you want to become a model photogrpaher, you need to be a ble to pose models. This article is about model posing techniques for photographers or people that wish to become a model. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Learn to become a model by learning to pose[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Learning how to become a model and / or learning to pose both professional and armature models, is something everyone in the modeling and photography industry needs to know. As a professional model, posing and learning to work with photographers is something that will further your professional modeling career. Posing 101 for models and photographers will cover such topics as posing in difficult situations, posing great models, what is a model’s headshot, what is a model’s comp card, what type of pictures should be in a professional model’s portfolio, proper pocket posing technique, and many more topics related to learning to be a model or learning to pose a model.[/FONT]

I disagree. Actors head shots are tough because there is a theoretical set of rules to follow. Other then that the only rule is to create art. I have worked with models and stylists and MUA's with little or no experience. I have also worked with seasoned pros. We talk it out 15 minutes before the shoot and away we go. Because of our passion only the strongest work is created.

Love & Bass

Hair light is an obvious example. Putting the dark bottle close to the light and the lighter one further from the light. When I am shooting models I divide the background to make a shadow and light area. The shadow area contrasts the main light. The lit area contrasts the shadows. PM me and I can send some examples. More then anything it is a theory. Kind of hard to attain.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back