Positioning the Key Light

radiorickm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to set up a small discussion of this issue. I have NEVER actually seen a good description of why we do this.

Lets assume we are setting up our lighting for a shoot. As a general rule, we don't ususally "shoot" people straight on, so our subject is going to be standing at an angle to the camera. This means that we can have the KEY light either on one side or the other.

This is where my question and hopefully a good discussion comes in. WHICH side do we choose, and why?

From what I have been able to find, and learn on my own:

Shooting with the key light straight into the subject presents a more masculine light.
masculinesidelighting.jpg

Not necessarily for males only, but just a "stronger" light.

Then shooting across the person with the key light presents a feminime or weaker key light
femeninesidelighting.jpg

I'm curious of any of the more experienced shooters out there have any other ideas or comments about this.

I think you are talking about Broad Lighting versus Short Lighting the subject. Basically, Broad Lighting will have the side of the face closest to the camera lit with the far side in shadow which will be more appealing to long, slender facial shape. Short Lighting is just the opposite with the near side in shadow and the far side lit. Short Lighting is generally more appealing for females, but is also used for subjects with rounder or heavier facial features because it has a natural slimming quality to our eyes..

As to which side to choose is clearly a personal choice. Something I try to keep in mind though is how the subject parts their hair. I'll try to light on the parted side to avoid/lessen shadows on the forehead by the key light crossing the lifted hair.

I agree with kundalini.

What you are talking / showing here, is the difference between broad lighting and short lighting. Those are specific portrait lighting patterns. There are many other portrait lighting patterns. So the position of the key light will be determined by the lighting pattern you want and the position of the model.

As mentioned, short lighting will tend to slim your subject, usually a good choice for women (but good for men as well). Another way to identify short lighting, is that you are lighting their far (hidden) ear, and not the close ear. Short lighting will be lighting up the 'mask' of the face.

Broad lighting, on the other hand, tends to make the subject look bigger. It lights up the close ear and not the 'mask' of the face.

Yep to what Mike and kundalini covered. A single light set up is as basic as it gets. Fill, kicker, rim, hair, and various other accent lights added to the set up have their own influence on placement of the main light.

Facial analysis and artistic intent are what are used to determine which lighting style is used, which in turn determines the key light position.

Thanks for the responces......
I have read about broad lighting and short lighting, It just never dawned on me that it was the KEY light that was being adjusted to accomplish it.
lol

thanks again.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back