Possible 60D Purchase

starscream59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last year for christmas I received a Canon 550D/T2i. Unfortunately, in June it randomly stopped working and the repair costs were estimated around 220-250, near the price I payed for the camera (359), Canon claimed the camera was no longer under warranty due to purchasing refurbed. So I was SOL as far as the repair. For a second attempt in the digital SLR arena I thought about purchasing a Canon 60D, full retail with warranty (I was just going to use my 18-55mm that came with my T2i, for now). The retail price is $719.99 with a loyalty discount (trade in the T2i) it brings the grand total to $579.99. Normally, I would look to purchase used, bur I'm a little apprehensive with my past luck. So I guess my question is whether it is worth trading in my T2i for the 20% discount or another option? I was thinking of possibly purchasing a 5D (MK1) for around the same price used, if somehow I could find a way to get a warranty eg. Squaretrade?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Canon USA now offer 1 year limited warranty for their refurbished camera including DSLR. So it maybe worth while to get the 20% off for camera in the loyalty program. If you get the 5D classic, make sure you have lens that support it. (Non EF-S lens)

I've bought a few used items from keh.com and they have a good reputation. They have a "14 day no-hassle return policy and 6 month, non-transferable warranty on all used equipment".

Here's a link to their Canon bodies:Canon Digital Camera Bodies - KEH.com

Hope this helps. Good luck.

60d is a great camera. Refurb is still a viable route, now with a 1 year limited warranty from Canon.

Last year for christmas I received a Canon 550D/T2i. Unfortunately, in June it randomly stopped working and the repair costs were estimated around 220-250, near the price I payed for the camera (359), Canon claimed the camera was no longer under warranty due to purchasing refurbed. So I was SOL as far as the repair. For a second attempt in the digital SLR arena I thought about purchasing a Canon 60D, full retail with warranty (I was just going to use my 18-55mm that came with my T2i, for now). The retail price is $719.99 with a loyalty discount (trade in the T2i) it brings the grand total to $579.99. Normally, I would look to purchase used, bur I'm a little apprehensive with my past luck. So I guess my question is whether it is worth trading in my T2i for the 20% discount or another option? I was thinking of possibly purchasing a 5D (MK1) for around the same price used, if somehow I could find a way to get a warranty eg. Squaretrade?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You cannot use your EF-S 18-55 mm on 5D, EF-S lenses are designed to fit the crop body (1.6x).
If you use your camera only for personal use then go with the 60D. Still 5D (mk 1)is greater than 60D.

Sorry for the delayed response, but as I am aware that I can't use any EF-S lenses, I was considering a few more budget friendly lenses eg. (28-105mm f/3.5-4.5, EF 100-300mm F/5.6 ). I still have a feeling the 60D is going to be the better option, as it comes with a warranty and I don't plan to do anything other than personal use with it. If needed I'll upgrade, if and when the time comes.

I just bought myself a 60D, haven't received it yet, but I studied up big time on it and decided it is the perfect camera for my needs. Plus the amount of lens options are nice. I would go for it. I think unless you are a pro and need certain features, the 60D has more than enough for the enthusiast/semi-pro for a great price. Plus lots of good lenses for cheap, I got myself a 50mm 1.4. Gahhh can't wait for it to come.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back