Possible Apple Keyboard Fix?

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My MacBook Pro keyboard was starting to show some of the trouble I had been reading about . This was after three years with no problems. Some keys tended to repeat unless I was very quick with my tap, and the space bar was somewhat erratic. I was planning to bring it in but never got around to it.
Then the computer wouldn't turn onl ahet all when opened. I called Apple for help and the tech correctly surmised that resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) might fix it. I had never heard of a System Management Controller, but he led me through a few "Hold this key for seven seconds" instructions, and the computer came on.
Only later did I discover that the keyboard problem had been completely fixed, with no replacement or even a trip to the store. Apple is treating the keyboard problem as mechanical - a flaw in the design of the keys. I'm not so sure now.
If anyone is having this kind of problem with the keyboard, you can search for resetting the SMC or send me an e-mail and I'll send you the instructions I saved to Pocket. Might work; no guarantee. But I don't believe it was just a coincidence that my keyboard is working perfectly again after the SMC reset.

Then there's the third option ... $*** can it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back