Possible for Lightroom to prompt for metadata on import?

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone know if it's possible to have Lightroom prompt for metadata during import? I'm almost positive that it isn't, but figured I'd ask anyway.

I have a handful of import presets that I use for importing, but there are a few metadata fields such as job identifier, title, creditline, etc. that are unique for each shoot and therefore obviously can't be baked into a preset. Currently I populate the extra fields I need immediately after the import finishes, but it would be really cool if I could basically tell an import preset to ask me for specific fields, so when I used that preset a window would appear so I could populate those fields prior to import.

Like I said, pretty sure that isn't possible but figured I'd ask.

Can't you just do it to the import from the library view to the entire folder once it's done importing?

Can't you just do it to the import from the library view to the entire folder once it's done importing?

Yes. And that's exactly what I do.

But like I said, it would be really cool to build that into a preset. For example if I'm using the Studio preset then prompt me to enter these 3 (or whatever) extra fields. If I'm using the Landscape preset then prompt me to enter these 2 (or whatever) extra fields, which may be different from the fields I use for studio shoots. That way I don't have to remember to it. Automation is good. :)

You can select your metadata preset separately from the develop preset to have it apply during import. Obviously it's not built into the develop preset but it's still right there.

Attachments

• import preset.JPG
    import preset.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 178
I have three different metadata preset options I select from in LR. Mine are basically:
My Initials-Year-extra identifier

You can select your metadata preset separately from the develop preset to have it apply during import. Obviously it's not built into the develop preset but it's still right there.

Correct. And like I said in my original message, I DONT want to create a preset for the fields I'm referring to in this message. Some of the fields, like job identifier, location, credits, etc. will likely be different for every set that I import (Job Identifier will ALWAYS be a different value so it's pointless to build a preset for it prior to the import and then never use that preset again).

Like I said, I DO use import presets, I have several. But for the purposes of this thread, I'm referring to unique metadata values that I can't or shouldn't bake into a preset. It would be really cool if I could tell LR to just prompt me for certain fields prior to import.

Why not build a set of metadata presets that cover the basics, and then edit the required fields on a per job basis (rather than making a new one with each job)?

Why not build a set of metadata presets that cover the basics,

This is exactly what I do.

and then edit the required fields on a per job basis (rather than making a new one with each job)?

Because that really doesn't help me. Right now I use my import presets that cover the basics, then when the import is finished I switch over to the Library module and apply the unique values that aren't in the preset, exactly like Braineack mentioned. So yeah, I could just as easily do what you're suggesting and edit the preset prior to each use. But both options (what I'm currently doing and what you're suggesting) are both manual steps that are prone to simply being forgotten to do, or forgetting which fields to edit.

However, if LR had the ability to prompt for fields during import, then I could simply flag those fields, automate the process, not worry about forgetting to do it or forgetting which fields to populate. Like I said, I'm pretty sure LR doesn't have this capability but it would be awfully nice if it did.

Most reactions

Back