Possible Indoor Shoot...PANIC!

chunkybaby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to apologize in advance for my newbiness, but I have a problem. I am plunging into the world of photography (children/families being my strongest interest at the moment...and some kind soul even gave me a vote in the October "Portrait" Challenge. Yay you, whoever you are!) and have a family photoshoot scheduled for tomorrow when the weather is supposed to be atrocious.

Everything I have done, thus far, has relied on natural outdoor lighting (because, frankly, I don't know what I'm doing!) and all of my indoor shoots have really been bad because all I have is my trusty Nikon D50 and a reflector.

If it comes to an indoor shoot what can I do with my Nikon to make some passable photos? (I am doing these for free as I have offered my services to my neighborhood until I get my feet off the ground and with hopes they spread the word.)

Any little help would be so appreciated.
Thanks,
ChunkyBaby

Being that it's a local community thing, I would just reschedule. There really is no way to do an indoor shoot with the equipment that you have. Also before I scheduled anymore shoots, I would get at least a SB400 better yet a SB600 or 800.

jlykins,

Oy. I was afraid that would be the response. Really, these indoor shoots are waking me up at night with cold sweats! I guess I know what to put on MY Christmas list this year!

Thanks. I will try and reschedule.

I think what you really need is a few good studio strobes and a few lessons on using them. Once you do, you'll actually want to shoot indoors. I think that, especially since you're doing this as a "professional". Once you learn how to do this, you'll sleep MUCH better at night! :lol:

I'd also recommend you take a look at Alien Bee's strobes. They have some nice starter kits that aren't too expensive.

Thank you, Mark.

I will look into the studio strobes and figure this out eventually. It won't be before tomorrow though, so I guess I'll just do the best I can.

The family is going through some tough financial times and their colleged-aged son is only home until the end of this weekend so I really wanted to get something for their Christmas photo which would mean tomorrow. On the other hand, as you all can surely relate, I want it to be decent enough that I'm not embarrassed.

*Glurg* I feel a sleepless night coming on.

Chunkybaby

Do this:

Set your flash to TTL and shoot at a slow shutter speed- maybe 1/30th of a second at F4 at an ISO of 400. This SHOULD get you into the ballpark. The flash will fill their faces and hair while the slow shutter speed will minimize the shadows produced by the flash itself by allowing more ambient light into the exposure.

Again, this is a rough guide, but should get you close.

He/she hasn't got a flash and is trying to run before walking, advise is not to offer a professional service till you know what you're doing also offer nothing you're equipment cannot cover. H

Mark, I really appreciate your help. I've been playing around this morning with the settings you suggested inside my house (while it's very gray and rainy outside as feared) and I think I just might be able to get something for this family today.

Again, thanks for taking the time.
Chunkybaby

He/she hasn't got a flash and is trying to run before walking, advise is not to offer a professional service till you know what you're doing also offer nothing you're equipment cannot cover. H

Actually, just like every other consumer grade nikon digital SLR, it does have a flash. And if you understand what the limitations are and how to use that flash, you can actually do some nice fill-flash work with it.

And while I don't encourage people to represent themselves as professionals, I also don't discourage them from trying a new technique either because this is generally how we learn best. So, in this sense, my advice stands. Sometimes, baptism by fire can be a GOOD thing. :wink:

Well, the fates intervened and one of the children got sick today so the shoot was cancelled. But Mark gave me some good starting points for tackling some of the indoor lighting issues with the equipment I have and I am eager to experiment more with that.

Also, to clarify, I am in no way saying I am a professional. I haven't made a skinny cent yet from any of this and am basically using my neighborhood as "guinea pigs" and they, in return, get some pictures. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Thanks again. This is one forum where I truly feel like I learn something new every day.

For a cheap setup you can get some halogen floods for about $20 a piece and attach some umbrellas. Set your WB to tungston and shoot away.

I'm afraid it was probably you that voted for yourself.

This may be the 2nd most pointless post of the day, but what did I miss? Where was there voting results?

Most reactions

Back