Possible Purchase of Used Lens

90foxbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I'm hoping some of you with more hands on experience with photo equipment can help me out here.

I'm in the market to purchase a 70-200 f2.8 lens with image stabilization.

I shoot Canon (have a 6D).

The Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS is out of my budget range. I'm more in the $1500 area.

I was browsing Ebay and stumbled upon a used Sigma 70-200 for a good price. The seller says the lens is "mint 9/10 condition" other than one apparent issue that's visible in the below photos.

ymagaveb.jpg

3y4ata4a.jpg

The little dot that's present in the first photo. The seller says it doesn't affect the image at all.

I'm completely ignorant to whether that is true or not. Anyone with advice on this? I can afford a brand new lens, but if I can spend less on something used I'm not opposed to that.

Thanks in advance.

Stubborn spots on a lens will not be in focus, so the seller says it does not affect the image "at all". Enough or larger spots on the surface of the lens WILL affect contrast. I say go for it.

For me a lot would depend on the asking price. The fact that he described these as "stubborn" leads me to believe that he's tried to clean them off and failed.

Which makes me start to wonder if these are just your average everday spots or if maybe this might be something internal like fungus.

So really unless this were just an unbelievable deal I'd probably look for another used sigma 70-200 mm with os.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input guys.

Not a super deal by any means. Asking price is just under $1,000.

I'm definitely not opposed to a used Canon 70-200. Hell I'd actually prefer that.

Edit: Also here was the direct quote from the seller.

"I would rate the lens a 9 because it is absolutely mint except for what you mentioned in your second question. It's just a speck inside the lens it in no way affects the pictures taken. If I wasn't clear or if you have any other questions let me know."

Again thanks for the input guys.

'The seller says' - so? that's his opinion - is this a seller you've purchased camera equipment from before, or a seller that's a camera store or business?

I've bought used but stick to reputable sellers like KEH or Adorama.

This is a photo I set up and took in a couple of minutes of my hallway. It's random and boring and underexposed, but the notable thing about it is that it was taken with a pair of pliers held directly in front of the lens.

Don't see a pair of pliers in the photo, do you? Imagine how little dust and scratches matter by comparison on the front element.

Note that if you took the photo without pliers it would look a little less hazy, but that is all.

$A.jpg$B.jpg

FYI i sold my 70-200 f/2.8L IS (mk1) for $1200 which is below your $1500 mark. It was in good condition. You can easily find used in that price.

FYI i sold my 70-200 f/2.8L IS (mk1) for $1200 which is below your $1500 mark. It was in good condition. You can easily find used in that price.

That's what I like to hear, thanks for that info. I'm definitely going to hold out for a deal like that.

What's the difference between the mk1 and mk2?

I have shot with a scratched lens an it did not affect my image quality. I also have shot with dust on my lens sometimes with no affect to image quality.

Just make sure you are buying from someone with good eBay feedback. I have bought multiple used lenses and they worked out great. I haven't bought any from eBay but used is used. Make sure it's a reputable seller and you should be ok.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back