post processing and computer questions

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Most of the photos I see here on the Forum (even in the beginners sections) are processed via Photoshop etc. If you have a good DSLR and your photos are not processed is it considered that you have only half a photo? It seems odd that with the sophistication of the newer 'good' cameras and lenses, that the quality of the photos they produce are inadequate without post.

I need a new computer before I can have enough memory for photo processing. Living in the mountains, we have been evacuated about four times in the past ten years due to Forrest fires, and packing in a hurry is tough. A laptop would be ideal considering this, but from what I read here, a laptop is completely useless for processing photos because of the inadequate monitors (screens). I could get more memory for the laptop I'm using and be able to afford post, but a new desk top and monitor is a long way off money wise. I am an armature and a hobbyist and not intending to go into business or publish professionally, but would like to produce pictures that are good enough to post on the Forum and share with friends. Your thoughts?

Thanks as always, Tom Beard

By no means will you have only 'half an image' without post-processing, but no image is ever as good as it can be straight out of the camera. Pretty darn close, yes, but as good? Nope. If system resources are at a premium, try the free program 'The Gimp' it's an open-source editor which, nearly the equal of Photoshop in many ways, is much easier on your system.

Laptops are NOT totally useless for editing. They're not ideal, but they can and do work. I do a LOT of editing on my off-the-shelf HP laptop. I use a colourometer to keep the screen in calibration, and while more screen real estate would be nice, because of the travelling I do, it's not always practical. Just make sure you get one with a good-quality display. You can most definitely post pictures good enough for printing on a laptop, never mind simple forum use.

assuming you're not going to move. get a fast laptop, upgrade the ram capacity and get an external monitor. so if you need to pack, at most you lose the monitor but you keep your laptop and pics...that's my suggestion if you're iffy on getting a tower.

Processing has always been a part of image making. Do some research on Ansel Adams. He likened (in the 30's, I believe) the negative to a musical score. He then likened the actual print to the symphony. This implies that there is something that is done between clicking the shutter and making the print. And in fact, Adams was famous for "re-processing" some of his images. There are some images he's made that have 3 or 4 different versions.

However, just because you don't process doesn't mean you have half an image. BUT, an image is never (really, never) as good as it can be straight out of the camera. Every image really does need some degree of processing. Also keep in mind that when you shoot JPEG, your camera is doing some processing on the image. RAW data looks terrible. Some type of processing is almost required.

Thank you all for the great advice. It helps me keep my train on the tracks. Elegant analogy, Gaerek. Thanks again, TB

Most DSLR cameras today do have some parameters that you can change in-camera. Usually tone, sharpness, and contrast can be set for very pleasing photos right out of the camera...

If you are a good photographer, you can be quite satisfied with your camera and it's finished image...

Todays new generation of photographers spend a lot more time processing their photos than they do taking them.... It has become a major part of the hobby and can be quite satisfying............ but it's not for everybody....:D

Todays new generation of photographers spend a lot more time processing their photos than they do taking them....
+1.
Its sad to see, at least for me, that more and more people move away from artistic PhotoGraphy and more to editing.

Processing is where the magic happens. It's always been that way. And the editing process is as much the heart and soul of photography as making the exposure.

ALL of the shots my camera takes, the colors aren't as vivid as in real life. I pretty much have to intensify every shot via batch.

Just think of the processing as the way a film photographer would have developed film in a dark room using multiple techniques to change the look of the print. Same thing, just more sophistocated, easier, less chemicals, and cheaper ( well in the long run anyway ).

I agree with what someone said about getting a laptop and monitor. They have docking stations you can get that will keep a keyboard and normal mouse ( editing sucks with a track pad ) and monitor attached as a base station. All you do is slide your closed laptop into the docking station so it plugs in, and presto, everything works like a desktop as if your laptop was the "tower" of the computer. Then all you have to do in a fire is grab your laptop, your camera and run......and if there is time, grab the wife and kids too. :lmao:

@tom beard I usually use lightroom instead of photoshop.
I always shoot raw. You can improve the white balance, saturation, contrast, etc...

Have a beautiful day!

Todays new generation of photographers spend a lot more time processing their photos than they do taking them....
+1.
Its sad to see, at least for me, that more and more people move away from artistic PhotoGraphy and more to editing.

What about all those hours people used to spend in darkrooms procesing their own black and white negatives? Even then just getting a print with no modification took ages ;)
We do however have a large generation of colour film photographers who could never afford the complex and expensive colour processing gear - so they did indeed mature during an age where processing was done by the lab, rather than themselves. Creating the illusion that everything happens in the camera every time.

Most DSLR cameras today do have some parameters that you can change in-camera. Usually tone, sharpness, and contrast can be set for very pleasing photos right out of the camera...

If you are a good photographer, you can be quite satisfied with your camera and it's finished image...

Todays new generation of photographers spend a lot more time processing their photos than they do taking them.... It has become a major part of the hobby and can be quite satisfying............ but it's not for everybody....:D

You guys ought to read "The Print" by Ansel Adams. To think that photo "editing" is something that has only happened since Photoshop is completely false. Adams spent (arguably) more time in the dark room than he did shooting. Post-processing (editing, photoshop, etc) is where your vision of a particular scene really comes to life. Why did photographers in the film days spend a lot of time and money on personal dark rooms with thousands of dollars of equipment, chemicals, etc when they could have taken their film to the local 1 hour photo and gotten prints made? You're right, it might not be for everyone, but EVERY photo you've ever seen has been processed to some degree. It's simply required.

Processing is where the magic happens. It's always been that way. And the editing process is as much the heart and soul of photography as making the exposure.

:thumbup: +1

Adams wrote "The Camera", "The Negative" and "The Print" between 1948 and 1950, showing in detail that it's a 3 step process to get a photo, most of which happens in the dark room. Photographers have always known it, Adams wrote about it.

All photos must be processed. Film or digital, it's always been true and it remains true.

Your choices:

1. Let the camera decide how to process it.
2. Let the Lab decide how to process it.
3. Take control and process it yourself the way you want it.

Most of us opt for #3. It's just that simple.

Most reactions

Back