Post-Processing: How Much is Too Much?

When the image is no longer enjoyable to look at it's overdone. If the exgirlfriend hanging from your arm is a compositional error (as most ex girlfriends are, you come to realise) then cloning may make the image far more enjoyable.

:lmao:

Post an example TR.

Too much? I've been told numerous times that this was overboard. I didn't think so at all when I was doing it, so it really made me wonder if I have generally been going overboard with all of my work.

LighthouseOne-Edit.jpg

I'd have to say while the post-processing may be overboard it is an excellent shot to begin with which makes overboard post-processing acceptable. Post-processing is only really unacceptable when used to make a crappy shot look good if it is used to add interest to a good shot without masking what the camera did I'd say it is acceptable. Truly overboard PP I've seen you do I don't have a link to but was a picture of an older gentleman that was sharpened well beyond an acceptable level which is something most of us have to work on.

Too much? I've been told numerous times that this was overboard. I didn't think so at all when I was doing it, so it really made me wonder if I have generally been going overboard with all of my work.

LighthouseOne-Edit.jpg

That's very artsy and very awesome! It's quite subtle actually and you're processing tracks can hardly be detected. This is a wall hanger to be sure! It's NOT overboard in any way shape or form!

Simply outstanding work!

I think it's quite nice. These are creative choices you're making, and you should be happy with them.

In a few years you might look back on this and say "Geez, I wouldn't do that nowadays" but (hopefully) you'll have a raw file you can always go back to and work up in whatever style you might evolve toward.

Trent, that's an awesome example. I think it's totally overboard, but I think it looks awesome and I wouldn't change a thing. :lol:

I like it, like every one else. Great shot and the PP while overboard works well. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but what is? I would print and hang a traditional and the PP version on different walls in the same room and see what reactions you get.

I'd have to say while the post-processing may be overboard it is an excellent shot to begin with which makes overboard post-processing acceptable. Post-processing is only really unacceptable when used to make a crappy shot look good if it is used to add interest to a good shot without masking what the camera did I'd say it is acceptable. Truly overboard PP I've seen you do I don't have a link to but was a picture of an older gentleman that was sharpened well beyond an acceptable level which is something most of us have to work on.

This shot?
_DSC0084-Edit.jpg

I’m just Ok with #1, and fell that #2 is overboard but think the composition is good, maybe even better that #1

IMO: Just because you start with a good image does not meet that you cannot go overboard. And oppositely I fell (and maybe wrongly) that bad images sometime can be save by editing. Mostly by converting poor exposed color images to B&W.

Last edited:
1: Does it make you happy?

2: Are you getting enough to eat?

If both answers are yes then what's the prob?

I like #1btw

#2 is stuck somewhere between too much and not enough.

When the image is no longer enjoyable to look at it's overdone. If the exgirlfriend hanging from your arm is a compositional error (as most ex girlfriends are, you come to realise) then cloning may make the image far more enjoyable.
:lmao:
Nice!
Unless you are going for some artsy fartsy crap, if it looks unnatural then it is over done to me.

Sort of the same of what everybody has had to say,..

A caveat; Who gives a damn what anyone else has to say? I believe that in order to develop one's style you have to disregard what others think and go where you have to go to do what you have to do.

Chances are that in 5 years you'll have a whole different group of friends anyhow- You'll still be you. If you haven't developed confidence in your own judgement you'll be at the mercy of the opinion of others, no matter who, or where they are.

Do what you do the very best you can do. Do what comes natural to you. Provide your own intrepretation of what you see. Only you have insight into your vision. As an artist your job is to translate and express that the way you see fit.

1: Does it make you happy?

2: Are you getting enough to eat?

If both answers are yes then what's the prob?

I like #1btw

#2 is stuck somewhere between too much and not enough.

I agree with THIS sentiment.

If #2 were my shot I would additionally select the BG area and do a PS Lens Blur at ~80% as I think the BG is too distracting.

It comes down to your style and what you want to achieve, although if your style is hated by everyone, its obviously saying something.

Personally, I can't stand shots that are mega saturated, along with huge amounts of sharpening. It gets to a point, where yellows end up blowing out, and I see it heaps in farm shots, of hay. The oversharpening ruins an image imo.

i'm far from pro, but most of my good shots, I look at the histogram, see what I've got to work with, alter the levels. take away any colour casts, add about anywhere from 3.0 - 10.0 amount and .35 for radius for sharpening. If I want to soften it up, I put in about 5 and 5 or up to 10 for a selective gaussian blur. I fix any dust spots, no more than +5 saturation, remove any background colours in the way. I reckon if you have a good shot to work with it should take no more than 10 minutes to finish it.

However it all depends on what you are after, I've seen a photo, and I'm about to do one for myself, of a person screaming into the camera, the shot is very dull without editing, but adding a heap of different layers, you can turn it into a freaky photo, ready for a cd cover etc. So I guess it all comes down to what you want with your shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back