Post-Processing: How Much is Too Much?

It comes down to your style and what you want to achieve, although if your style is hated by everyone, its obviously saying something...

Like Van Gogh's paintings?

Do what you like.

Show what YOU like in your portfolio.

You clients will self-select based on your style you show in your portfolio.

You will never have to guess about what your clients like, because only people who have the same taste as you will hire you.

Now, this may be good or bad for business... but your clients will always be happy and you'll never be 'guessing' to please them... which is generally very good for business. ;)

You should process as heavily as humanly possible. People who don't know what they're looking at think it means you're creative and inspired.

Hey man,

I really try to incorporate PP'ing into my photographs. I personally, have been met with sour reactions to it. IMO, if looks good to you, do it!:) "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Too much? I've been told numerous times that this was overboard. I didn't think so at all when I was doing it, so it really made me wonder if I have generally been going overboard with all of my work.

LighthouseOne-Edit.jpg

I love it!:) The colors, the contrast, everything!:D

Too much? I've been told numerous times that this was overboard. I didn't think so at all when I was doing it, so it really made me wonder if I have generally been going overboard with all of my work.

Iv removed the image from this quote because it has been quoted so many times.. but it is the one above...

To be honest i dont think this image is even in question... and im not sure why you've added it to this discussion, it is clearly your best work to date, so i feel you've added it just to show it off... nothing against you, it is a good image, but in the thread where this image was originally posted there were no comments that it was overprocessed.... that was the image below it, and in many other recent threads your processing has been in question alot more..

My point is, out of your work, this example is exceptable in terms of how much processing was used... however alot of your other recent work is MUCH more 'over proccesed' so i would look to that as an example of why people may be questioning your processing.

I'd say half the people that see my work like my post-processing style, and the other half hate it...

If all viewers have an opinion on your work that's excellent. "Hate" is just as good as "love" when it comes to art. What you need to worry about is indifference and boredom.

I think there is a technical limit to things like sharpening, contrast and saturation. In all reality though, everything is up to the artist, but certain things are kind of a no-no from what I've learned in photography class. Using too much contrast will make your blacks go too inky and you'll lose details in the shadows, or too much sharpening will add halos in areas of intense local contrast or just make it slightly painful to look at, etc.

Also, certain genre's lend themselves to more processing then others. If your shooting for a newspaper, the most you'd want to do is crop, correct exposure/color and sharpen a little bit. Landscapes on the other hand or fine art lend themselves to more surrealistic colors and comprehensive exposure manipulation. But again, it's up to you. If your trying to use the images professionally, certain things just won't work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back