Post production in photo shop UNSHARP MASKS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quovadis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few months ago I was claiming that my RAW files were not as sharp as I would like them to be, and continuously had to use unsharp masks and smart sharpens in Photoshop. I was asking everyone on this forum if pictures in RAW were naturally more blurry.
At the time, I was using Asus 3x27" 1080p 144hz monitors to do my photo editing.
Basically, you look at a picture you have taken and ask yourself "is it tack sharp"? If the answer is no, I will apply a sharpening filter.
I had always thought this was a RAW thing. Pictures are less sharp. Some people suggested I use increased shutter speed, use a tripod etc.
Only recently, I have some different monitors side by side, an Asus 32" 1440p and another 32" UHD.
Whilst colors on these are incredible, I noticed something disturbing.
Any picture I take an view on the 32" 4k monitor is tack sharp. A little less on 1440p, and much less on 1080.
In other words I would be inclined to sharpen the picture if viewed on a 1080p monitor and not at all on the 4k monitor.
The problem I have, is I do not know which monitor is telling the truth?
There is nothing worse than "oversharpening" a picture, and nothing worse than having a slightly blurry picture.
All pics are viewed at 100% scaling in photoshop.
Scratching my head on this one....

I normally wait until I have resized before I consider any sharpening

Do you make your decision about image sharpness looking at 100% zoomed picture fragments?

Note please don't bump up old threads from the past; do check the dates on posts before adding your reply. The original poster (OP) of this thread hasn't been around in 2 years so one hopes they've found their answer by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back