Posting calibrated photos online?

Summer75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have calibrated my monitor and my prints are coming back great. I do find that now they look quite bright when viewing on my cell phone or other devises. I am wondering if anyone else posts "darker" photos online and has another set of photo files for "print ready"? I thought of doing that but than it didn't seem logical as I didn't know which to give the client.

.. it didn't seem logical as I didn't know which to give the client.
So you're giving them the digital files? Without getting into why you're doing that, just ask your clients what they intend to do with the files. You might need to give them both versions of each file.

Yes I have done the two set thing in the past when taking part in camera club chalanges, one set for print comp,s another for projected comp,s. Gets messed when they are the wrong way round

If I am going to print, I will edit with the screen brightness at about 50% because the screen is lit (and brighter)

I edit on a calibrated display in a room with medium indirect lighting. I consider this to be “correct”, since it should look the same on any other properly calibrated display. For printing, you could use soft proofing with the color profile provided by the printing service, or just use automatic color management with more reputable services such as Mpix - I occasionally need something reprinted, but they usually get any minor tweaks better than I can with soft proofing. As for looking good on other uncalibrated displays, there is no standard to edit to - every display. Is different. In general, uncalibrated displays tend to be brighter with more contrast, but I don’t know that it would be beneficial to account for that. I actually find that iPhone and iPad screens tend to be pretty accurate if you have auto brightness enabled and True Tone disabled.

Most reactions

Back