posting live from cambodia

eggy900

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.egnerphotography.co.uk
I am here posting live from my current hotel in cambodia. I have been here two full days and have decided to start posting photos on the web, for friends and home, and some comments from you guys.

All the photos i have uploaded can be found here,

http://usera.imagecave.com/eggy900/cambodia/

sorry for the extra large image size and fairly low quality, i have no image editing software and have had to rely on image cave's image optimisation

i have selected some of my faqvourite's and have posted them with my settings, please give hints and tips as to how these images can be improved.

barbedwire.JPG

'Barbed wire'
f3.2
1/60 second
0.0ev
ISO80

eachdoorleadstothenext.JPG

'Each door leads to the next'

f3.2
1/8 second
0.0ev
ISO 140

flower.JPG

'Flower'

f3.2
1/500 seconds
0.0ev
ISO180

KhmerRougeregulations.JPG

'Khmer Rouge Regulations'

f3.2
1/125 secs
0.0ev
ISO 180
Polariser and UV

roadsideworker.JPG

'Roadside Worker'

f2.8
1/180 secs
0.0ev
ISO 80
Shot through a car window
Polariser and UV

sunsetoverthecity.JPG

'Sunset over Phnom Pehn'

f2.8
1/130 secs
0.0ev
ISO 180
Polariser and UV

torturecell.JPG

'Torture Cell'

f3.2
1/20 secs
0.0ev
ISO 140

Taxi.JPG

'TAXI!'

f3.2
1/250 secs
0.0ev
ISO 100
Polariser and UV filter
Shot through a car window

Again sorry for the XXL low quality images, normal size images can be found at the gallery http://usera.imagecave.com/eggy900/cambodia/

Comments please

I love some of these shot's especially the sunset. There are some great shot's and colours and they are really nicely composed.

thanks for the series - very informative! seems some have tough rules to abide by :shock:

Makes me want to be over there again...nice shots, I especially liked the ones of the royal palace in the link. Since you are still there you should try taking a 10 dollar boat ride, it provides for some great photo opportunities!!! Also Wat Phnom is interesting, and for shopping and picture purposes check out the Russian Market!!! Enjoy yourself :)

oh, good that you've posted the link - pics here are sooo large-:) - i really like two - the first one, with a barbed wire, and the one with a white corridor.

great work!

Lovely shots. I browsed thro your gallery too, you have some very nice images there
may be you can create a photo essay about your visit, will be nice for others to know about the places from the country which is less travelled

eromallagadnama said:
and picture purposes check out the Russian Market!!! Enjoy yourself :)

We went to the russian market today, as it is chinese new year there were very few stalls open, and i didn't get to check out the photography stalls. I did however pick up some cheap silverware and mini bas reliefs. although i lost $50 on the second day i have found some good bargains, and the only fake thing i have bought so far is a rough guide. Any ideas where i can pick up some cheap filters etc. in Sihanoukville or Siem Reap? would be very helpful. Also any non touristy photo spots around Angkor Wat that you could enlighten me about?

We also went to the killing fields today, it was very haunting, i will post some photos soon, maybe i can find some cheap software which i can use to change image size, i hope.

I bought a photo album direct from an orphanage today, it holds 240 6"x4" photos so i will have to carry on snapping. My 1gb SD card is serving me well, along with my new polarizer and lens hood.

Thankyou all for the positive feedback, it is very relieving and much appreciated.

I will keep you all informed

There isn't really much of a place to buy photography stuff in the russian market, other than photoshop, which I got my program back and it didn't work, but it was only 2 bucks, so no biggy. Somewhere around Phnom Penh there is supposed to be a pretty large camera store, but as far as pricing I'm not sure if they are decent or not...but I do know that you can barter all over Cambodia so I would attempt it :) There are also just random electronics stores all over which sell lenses and stuff but I'm not sure about filters. My guess is that they are probably semi cheap too, because I've never seen anything in Cambodia that's expensive! I'd just be careful what I bought camera wise from there, because there's probably no real warranty or guarantee ;)

As far as photo locations go, my best experiences have come from taking photos of people in the villages around the city. Also there are Wats (Buddhist temples) all over the place, and from personal experience the monks don't mind you taking photos at all. If you get a chance, just head out to a small village and take a walk down the road, you'll be surpised at the amazing photos you get, and the people love having there pics taken :) I've never been to Siem Reap before so I can't help you there. But if you are lookin for non touristy photos, my tip would just be to take a hike...literally :) and see what you find!!! There is another market in Phnom Penh called the New Market, which is mainly a food market, and I'm sure you could get some interesting pics there as well!!!! Sorry for the length, hopefully this info will help a bit :) Keep postin pics!!!

walter23 said:
Nice shots. I want to see some skulls and landmines next.

If you've ever been there...I don't think you'd say that...it's quite horrible really :(

eromallagadnama said:
If you've ever been there...I don't think you'd say that...it's quite horrible really :(

I'm ambivalent about horror. By that I mean that on one level I appreciate being chilled to the bone, and on the other hand it fills me with disgust.

I want to see some skulls and landmines next.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back