Potrait

richardquinn80

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is me tring a potrait, please comment if I could have done things to make this better, tnx

Attachments

• $image-135498620.jpg
    $image-135498620.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 72
Compositionally, it's not bad, blocking her with the black lamp and the falloff to dark on the left. But think it begs for her to be more off center to the left.

The light is directional but to me it doesn't really create any mood or effect, nor does it flatter, nor does it tell a story... it really just creates a hot cheek and doesn't add much.

I expect the light had a lot more to offer, maybe if it was farther to the rear (or her head was turned more away from it) it might have reduced the hot spot and also inceased the shadow. There was probably something more there... you just didn't find it.

Also, the pose and expression don't really match the light somehow... her eyes are wedged in the corners. Again with turning the head a little more.

It's pretty good for a first effort... you should definitely keep trying / working at it.

nycphotography said:
Compositionally, it's not bad, blocking her with the black lamp and the falloff to dark on the left. But think it begs for her to be more off center to the left.

The light is directional but to me it doesn't really create any mood or effect, nor does it flatter, nor does it tell a story... it really just creates a hot cheek and doesn't add much.

I expect the light had a lot more to offer, maybe if it was farther to the rear (or her head was turned more away from it) it might have reduced the hot spot and also inceased the shadow. There was probably something more there... you just didn't find it.

Also, the pose and expression don't really match the light somehow... her eyes are wedged in the corners. Again with turning the head a little more.

It's pretty good for a first effort... you should definitely keep trying / working at it.

Ok thanks a lot, you gave me lots of good ideas that I can take on board, I appreciate your good eye, tnx

Nycphotography gave you an EXCELLENT C&C!!!!!!

One suggestion...portraits often look better when the person has a bit more "visual support" for the head. In your shot, the camera is a bit too close to her, so the framing is somewhat tight, and her neck just sort of "appears"...showing a bit more shoulder would help. That could have been done by backing up a bit, and as nyc mentioned, placing her a bit more to the left of the frame. In the shot as-shown, her neck just sort of "appears", with no visible means of support really clear in the shot, so that is what I find most in need of improvement. Not to harp on it, but that is one benefit that shooting portraits of single people in the "tall" camera orientation easily allows--it allows plenty of space to be allotted to the shoulders/chest, AND at the same time, allows for a larger head-size to be shown, since the frame is taller. And a larger head-size gives us a bigger face to look at. And, in this scene, a tall camera orientation would have forced you to eliminate the lamp on the table, OR if yuo wished to include it, you would have had to back wayyyy up, and then the shot would have been an "environmental portrait".

I think backing up, and shooting in horizontal orientation might have made a more-interesting portrait--and environmental portrait, in which we could see her seated in the chair and so on.

Try getting a touch lower a reflector camera left would have just lighten up the righthand side of her face also it looks a bit soft probably due to low shutter speed

I think it is not a posed portrait but a snapshot which came out exceptionally well. From that point of view it's a good effort in use of available light and potential of your camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back