**** powerpoint

lol .. not a fan of Hawking here ...

his scietifc publications are great, but his books for the public, don'T like them

a great scientist is not always a great presenter of science.

I've never had to PREPARE a pp presentation....but I LOOOOVE my teachers who use them. Usually the ones that use them also post them on thier faculty webpage in case we miss something. I just find it much easier for note taking.

The ones that don't use PP for thier lectures...I have a harder time taking notes...probably because I tend to take notes on EVERYTHING then....just in case. :p And I can't keep up so well. ;)

powerpoint is used extensively at my college for giving lectures...which is good because most of the time I can download them later...if only I'd pay the money for office...(not happening).

I find it's easier to use the Mac equivalent...though I only do simple stuff...nothing fancy.

PP is the weakest of all the office software, and probably the least versatile.

a great scientist is not always a great presenter of science.

<soapbox>
And this is a huge problem, in my not-so-humble opinion. You can do the best science in the world but if you don't know how to get it accessible to other people, it dies with you. This is one of the big problems I have with what the emphasis in science is these days (research) and where it's not (education and public outreach, which I think should be at least 5-10% of a scientist's time). </soapbox>

<soapbox>
And this is a huge problem, in my not-so-humble opinion. You can do the best science in the world but if you don't know how to get it accessible to other people, it dies with you. This is one of the big problems I have with what the emphasis in science is these days (research) and where it's not (education and public outreach, which I think should be at least 5-10% of a scientist's time). </soapbox>

well, there are researchers and there are lecturers. Both require totally different talents.

researchers need to be precise when they document whatthey have done, but they need not be able to sell things to students or even the general public.

as for lecturers, there are not too many excellent ones i think ;) this is also a result of many researchers being forced to be lecturers since it is in their work contract, and the other way round by the way ;)

of course there are also some counter examples.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back