Powershot S5 IS

Passion4Film

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I get paid again in about 9 days, I think I'm headed to get a new camera!

My last one took a bad, accidental (obviously lol) fall and is no more. (It was the Canon Powershot A640 and I loved it.)

I have decided 100% on the Canon Powershot S5 IS.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/

I was wondering - anyone used/owned it? Your personal pros and cons? Favorite features?

I love the Canon Color Swap and Color Accent features, so I'll be happy to have those back. I'm also looking forward to the movie function having its own button and being able to take stills while shooting movies.

Thanks for the help/input! I'm very excited. :)

I had a Canon 620, which died on me, and I was in a similar situation. I took a good look at the S5is, but decided to go with the S3is.

The S5 is an excellent camera, but there was one feature on the S3 that I really wanted, the intervalometer. The intervalometer allows you to do time lapse photography.

Other differences. S5- digic III, S3 - digic II, S5 - upper video file limit 4Gb, S3 - 2Gb. S5 has a hot shoe (I do miss that!). S5 - 8MP, S3 - 6MP, S5 has a bigger LCD, but lower battery life probably due from same.

I decided that I didn't mind getting a slightly older model for much less money. So far, I've been happy with my choice.

I took an S3 to Alaska and took a ton of photos. I was a total noob and it wasn't until I returned and really got serious about photography that I understood the value of being able to change lenses.

While I was very happy with many of my S3 shots and it's functionality, I look at them now and realize how much better they could have been if I had purchased even something in the same category as a Rebel, for many reasons. (The S3 is now my wife's camera and she's happy with it. Me? I'm using a 40D only because I can't afford a MarkIII. But what an absolutely delightful difference!!)

Guess it just depends how much you have to spend.

I have the S3 and it takes great photos for a p&s. It also takes great videos and that's why I'll continue to use it even though I have a new Rebel XTi.

Great macro & super macro modes, but the manual focus is lame. BTW I got mine for $340 on sale at Office Depot and latter it became my Mother's Xmas present.

-Shea

When I get paid again in about 9 days, I think I'm headed to get a new camera!

My last one took a bad, accidental (obviously lol) fall and is no more. (It was the Canon Powershot A640 and I loved it.)

I have decided 100% on the Canon Powershot S5 IS.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/

I was wondering - anyone used/owned it? Your personal pros and cons? Favorite features?

I love the Canon Color Swap and Color Accent features, so I'll be happy to have those back. I'm also looking forward to the movie function having its own button and being able to take stills while shooting movies.

Thanks for the help/input! I'm very excited. :)

I had it but decided to sell it. It took great pictures and had an amazing zoom for a P/S. BUT... I couldn't stand the lens cover. If you touch it... it will fall off. Very annoying for me at least. I also didn't like the AA battery setup and I didn't like that the memory card was located in the battery slot (the battery cover is not meant to be opened and closed regularly).

Other then that... it's a great camera :)

Most reactions

Back