Is anyone shooting the 70-200 on a FX body? Does it have enough reach on it?
I would like to get the new D700 (D700s, D700x, D800) when it comes out since it will likely be this year. What I am wondering is if I should sell the D300 at that point, or if I should keep it for when I need that added reach without dropping to 6MP or whatever the D700 drops to in DX mode. The 24-70 will definitely shine on the FX body but I am unsure about the 70-200.
I guess I have the same plan as you, except in different lens order. That is, I plan on getting the updated D700 or whatever they call it. Plus I'm getting the 24-70 f/2.8.
My 70-200mm on my D90 works well, but regarding reach well I guess it depends on what you need it for. Even with the crop sensor the 70-200mm is not enough magnification for birds. I haven't used it on an FX camera, but I suspect it will be nearly useless for birds and wildlife. Would be perfect for portraits and as a general walk-around lens I think.
Seems a lot of people buy teleconverters for the 70-200mm. However, the loss of image quality and stops of light are big penalties with teleconverters. I was thinking about getting one for my 70-200mm, but once I upgrade to FX format I think even a teleconverter won't be enough. Therefore, I'm going to get a high magnification prime lens, which I think will provide better image quality and faster focus.
On FX the 70-200mm will be good for everything except wide shots.
I'll probably sell my D90 body to help fund the purchase of the new camera body. Even though it would be useful to have two bodies (one of them 1.5X DX) I'm the kind of person that would rarely use it if I have a better camera, like a D700. Photography is a hobby only for me, so I don't really need to walk around with two cameras like the pros.
I'm hoping the new D700 has a higher Megapixel count. Maybe they'll sell a 24 MP version
